Author Topic: Robertville, Avondale Tce Harolds X Rd (1911) now 321 -347 Harolds X Rd  (Read 1188 times)

Offline robertvillesearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robertville, Avondale Tce Harolds X Rd (1911) now 321 -347 Harolds X Rd
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
I think I have them muddled up....well spotted!  I will have to go back to basics.
My link is with Josephine who was living at Robertville aged 17 in 1911.  I have a letter stating that someone was writing from that address.
The only Josephine who would have been about 7 in 1910 and living in Dublin is the daughter of James and Mary Carroll living in Sandwith Terrace South Dock.  There are 6 children on the 1901 census but I checked the 1911 census and it states that 10 children were born on which 8 are living.  I  have today found two more children James 1884 and Mary Margaret 1882 born before 1886 so I think the marriage cert for James Smyth policeman is not right and the one for James Smith coachman is correct.  I think Anne was born just before Kathleen and CJ is from the other couple. The marriage date of 1800 would make more sense with no children born out of wedlock.  However my GGF William Smyth put his 'father' name on his birth cert as George Smyth.  This was not his birth father but his 'adopted' family but the coachman has Luke as his father which blows my nice link apart......oh well.... maybe the next round of searching will throw up some Smyth siblings or a link to Dorothy Pennefather.  Thanks for all the links.  I have used the NLI and Glasnevin index but there are others I was  not aware of so all good intelligence.  Go raibh mile maith agait!!! :) :) :)  No idea what Bridget Doyle Bray 1948 means unless he put it on the wrong line...

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
For what its worth if you can make a connection  Thomas Duffy Parsons died at 2 Robert Ville age 37 in October 1898 informant was Ethel Jameson a Niece, 26 Upr Sherrard St
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05814/4645892.pdf

may have married in Birkenhead 1885
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DY3-FN4
his widow
Barbara Jameson
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Pembroke_East___Donnybrook/_Part_of__Tritonville_Road/1286550/

he was also executor of the will of Robert Cassidy Pike in 1897
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014910/005014910_00207.pdf

Jameson Family
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rotunda/Sherrard_St__Upper/1331914/

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Gosh you have set me thinking.... ???So good to have another head at this stage.  My logic was that whoever was writing from Robertville to Australia knew my GGGF had become asst superintendent of the GPO and that happened about 1899 so I made the assumption that they were living there after 1899.  The letter was written in 1945 from my GGGGM daughter to one of her nieces.  She mentioned Robertville as being the last known address but no name of the correspondent.  The letter also tells that my GGGF William was left with his aunt Smyth who changed his name.  Once I saw the name Josephine Smyth on the 1911 census I thought that's it and once I had found the (incorrect) marriage cert for James Smyth and Mary Carroll showing George Smyth as his father I was convinced I was on the right track but that document says George Smyth was a farmer and my GGGF's marriage cert says George was a car owner so I should have been suspicious.  I don't recognise any of the names mentioned in your mesage but then I don't know what Dorothy Pennefather's real  name was.  She certainly doest seem to exist anywhere that I can find.  I have had my DNA tested on Ancestry so I may look to see if I can find any DNA links to Parsons or Jamesons (I found the Pennefather connection through DNA) .  Interesting that they were CoI.  I was convinced that I was looking  for someone who was CoI or had a CoI marriage in their background. My logic was if you left a baby with a Catholic family in Dublin then they would  bring that child up Catholic with their other children.  William considered himself CoI and was married in a CoI church.  Family lore has it that he was disinherited because he married a catholic.  He certainly did not have any family or relatives and my grandmother was the only one of his children to marry.  So we have no cousins to question and all the family papers appear to have been thrown away.  I did find a family called Fehan who lived in Robertville from 1928- 1932 approx.  My GGGGM died in 1909 but I dont know how long the correspondence kept up.  sorry for the long message and thank you for reading and your interest in this mystery.  Still I have made a start and some progress (with your valuable help) and I am determined to crack this.  :) :) 

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
Think I got a bit carried away with my GGG's there!  Should be William was my GGF and Dorothy my GGGM!!!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
Just in case anyone else is looking for Robertville in 1901 Census I have had clarification of the position and numbering with huge thanks to Jim Curtis and the Rathmines Historical Society.  See below:

There are now thirty houses at the Terenure end of Harold's Cross Road, numbered 291-349, and these were originally in two separate terraces, Abercorn Terrace built around 1868, and Avondale Terrace (with bay windows) built around 1885.  The small gap between these two terraces was filled-in around 1890 with two houses, called 1 and 2 Robert-ville.  Initially, this locality was in the Rathmines Township, and after 1930 was controlled by Dublin Corporation, at which stage the two Robertville houses were listed as 321 and 323 Harold's Cross Road.

In the 1901 Census, this area was listed as "Harolds Cross Road (part of)", and No 1 Robertville was listed as House No 28, and No 2 Robertville was listed as House No 29.  in the 1911 Census, No 1 and 2 Robertville are specifically listed.

And so it turns out my GGF William Smyth was living there in 1916.  Cant believe I missed that as an option.  Many thanks to all for your help particularly Dathai.... It was much appreciated.