Author Topic: Stuck on an ancestor Born in 1801  (Read 488 times)

Offline thecalifornialife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuck on an ancestor Born in 1801
« on: Monday 17 September 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
I’ve yet to come cross an ancestor of mine who didn’t have research done prior to the 18th century. So I’m basically going to be the first person to do so on this line. The ancestor was born in Kentucky in 1801. He name was Mordecai Winter. He married a woman named Mary. They lived in Franklin County, Kentucky. Before this I’m at a loss to who his parents are.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on an ancestor Born in 1801
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
Mordecai Winter
Father's name(s) -
Mother's name(s)    -
Event Marriage   26 May 1833
County Franklin Kentucky
So no parents mentioned but it does give you Mary's surname

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 00:16 BST (UK) »
An image of the record
Mordecai Winter and Mary Dougherty

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2QD-3QJ5

----
A bond between Mordecai Winter and Solomon Dougherty guaranteeing that there is no obstruction to the marriage.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2QD-3JQB

----
I'd guess Solomon is her father, or maybe an uncle or guardian. I don't know, I've never seen this before.

--
His 1840 to 1860 censuses are at familysearch also, but it sounds like you are working backward, so I didn't include them. His children's names could help find his parents. And Robert McDade in 1850 could be an uncle or just a farm hand. No relationships stated on the census.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline thecalifornialife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 02:58 BST (UK) »
Considering Solomon looks to be younger than Mary, I’m assuming that he is her brother. Now I am trying to find the father of Mary and Solomon ☹️

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
I googled "solomon dougherty, franklin county, ky" and found a lot of hits, but I didn't go through them to sort fact from fiction. I think I tried "mordecai winter franklin county ky" also and didn't get much, but it is worth your time to try.

Look for histories of counties, biographical histories, and people who have already done the work  :)

Look at 1790 - 1820 censuses for Doughtery and Winter. Count young males and females in the households.

Find out if the will book for Franklin County is online or still around somewhere. Also the record of deeds.

Find out where people came from who moved into Franklin County - migration paths. They probably came from Eastern Tennessee, <-- North Carolina <-- Virginia <-- Maryland or Pennsylvania <-- British Isles, or some similar path. You might find their families a little farther back up the path say 20 years earlier or so.

Look on rootsweb or ancestry message boards for the families in the locations. and rootsweb worldconnect.

If you get a hit on familysearch, see if it is attached to a person in a tree. But then use those trees only as a possible guide to the right ancestors. They, as well as trees elsewhere, are fiction sometimes.

In short, look everywhere and use google a lot. Someone has probably done these families and put the information somewhere.