Author Topic: wishing for ancestors who had imagination when naming children  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: wishing for ancestors who had imagination when naming children
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
Re Elizabeth Alice with a younger sister Elizabeth, I wonder was Eliz A   sick/ill  when Eliz2 was born.    Rem no antibiotics, even something like a chest infection in a young child could be fatal.

Possibly. I considered it. Their father had an elder sister and brother who died when they were little. He was the only surviving child of his parents as far as I know. He may have had other elder siblings whose births, deaths and existence were unrecorded. The fear of losing one of his own children may have been in his mind. The family lived in a town which had one of the highest child mortality rates in England.
Cowban

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 20:33 BST (UK) »
Don't forget it can also be a blessing :)
I have females Alvina and Pleasant in my tree and males called Gale, all Christian names passed down for generations.
It makes following the line a great deal easier :)

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
I have females Alvina and Pleasant in my tree and males called Gale, all Christian names passed down for generations.

Bev

I'll swap you four Marys for one Pleasant :-)

Boo

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 01:04 BST (UK) »

Only where names were uncommon as forenames  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 09:35 BST (UK) »
Re Elizabeth Alice with a younger sister Elizabeth, I wonder was Eliz A   sick/ill  when Eliz2 was born.    Rem no antibiotics, even something like a chest infection in a young child could be fatal.
Another possibility:  Baby girl is born.  New dad says we'll call her Elizabeth,  new mum says no I want her to be Alice, so they compromise. Little girl is christened Elizabeth Alice, mum calls her Alice every day and she grows up as Alice.  Next baby girl is born, dad gets his choice of name in the end.   
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
I've recently added two Smith families to my tree. One couple had the decency to give their children two middle names each. The other couple..... William, John, Elizabeth, no middle names.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
Another possibility:  Baby girl is born.  New dad says we'll call her Elizabeth,  new mum says no I want her to be Alice, so they compromise. Little girl is christened Elizabeth Alice, mum calls her Alice every day and she grows up as Alice.  Next baby girl is born, dad gets his choice of name in the end.

First 4 children had 2 names each. Mother had several sisters, 2 were Elizabeth and Alice. Another daughter, Mary Ann was apparently known as Sally (maybe after Aunt and GGM Sarah).
Their 5th child & 2nd son had alternative names; registered name was after husband of his maternal aunt; name he was christened with was that of his paternal uncle who died aged 4. He used the latter name as his 1st name but was known to my family by the other name. Elizabeth Alice was remembered by her full name. I was unaware there had been a younger Elizabeth. To confuse matters further their stepmother had initials E.A., their eldest sister A.E.

Eliz. Alice and Elizabeth were on a census in household of their Uncle James, whose wife and daughter were Ellen and his son James. Also in household were 2 orphaned cousins of the other 4 young people. Their names were Ellen and James. A household of 8 people had only 3 first names between them. To save confusion I should think that Ellen & James senior were Mam & Dad, their children were "our Ellen" and "our Jim" and the 2 Elizabeths "LizbethAlice" and Betty/Bessie/Lizzie.
Cowban

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 September 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
Oh I have plenty of Smith's in my tree and one who was alive in 1841 (not born in county) and died in 1849 (2 years before the first really useful census). James Smith. His children were called Edwin, William James, Charles, Ann, Elizabeth and Eliza. Would have been good if he had given his mother's maiden name as a middle name for one of them to help me on my way.

So many Johns, William's, Thomas', James and Elizabeth's, Mary's and Ann's in my tree. I have come across a few more unusual names such as Cuthbert, Spanisher, Kerrenhappuch and even mothers maiden names as first names in Essex and Suffolk especially.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 September 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
My best one was someone, William if my memory serves me correctly, who was widowed leaving him with numerous children including both an Elizabeth and an Eliza. He quickly remarried, his new wife was called Elizabeth, and she had a child from a previous marriage christened Marion Elizabeth but who on all subsequent records is known as Elizabeth - why she didn't have the sense to revert to Marion I don't know!
When we found a marriage for Elizabeth in the parish records of the village we were trying to work out if it was for Eliza, Elizabeth or Marion Elizabeth - but it turned out we had missed the death of William and it was actually his widow remarrying and not any of the girls!
They don't make it easy for us!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk