Author Topic: Discenters and Quakers - Suffolk about 1660  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Robin Walpole

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Discenters and Quakers - Suffolk about 1660
« on: Tuesday 18 September 18 06:30 BST (UK) »
I am an Australian practicing Quaker of Irish Ancestry. My forebears left Middleton-cum-Fordley in Suffolk about 1660 to settle in Ireland. Irish Quaker records list the marriage of William Walpole and Jane Raper in  Ireland in 1676. I have all the birth, deaths and marriage records from then until now.
William's father (John) birth is listed in the local registry. His marriage, death and the birth of William and his siblings is not listed.
I imply from this that the family were at least from the Civil War times - Discentors - not C of Es.
William and his 3 brothers were offered farming land in Ireland and settled there in about 1660.
When "The King Came Back" in 1660 - a lot of those who had been sympathetic to the Commonwealth revised their memories of those years. Our family history certainly has that flavor.
The Quakers also downplayed their commitments -- and their organizational structure and records of this time were in their infancy.
I am interested in whether the Walpoles were Quakers before the 1676 marriage (i.e. in Suffolk), and any association they may have had with Civil War military service. (Jane Raper's brothers - from north of England - were definitely ex-military). Was the land in Ireland back pay - or were they just suitably skilled Protestant farmers?