Author Topic: Horse keeper  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Flyingswan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Horse keeper
« on: Tuesday 18 September 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi all, would anyone know what a horse keeper would do in 1870's Liverpool. I know that may sound daft but my GGG grandfather was listed as horse keeper but lived in haylock street (Dingle area I think). I was wondering if it would be anything to do with the "omnibuses" as he was previously an omnibus conductor.
Another of his jobs was a ' towns waiter'  anyone able to help as to what exactly this was?
Many thanks

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Horse keeper
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
A Horse Keeper, aka a groom, worked in stables feeding and looking after the horses.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 census there are 21 men with Town Waiter as an occupation, all in the Liverpool area.
Some with "Towns Waiter (Munic)" apparently it was a police officer who looked after magistrates according to https://www.suttonbeauty.org.uk/suttonhistory/vallancey/

Stan

Offline Flyingswan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Stan. I've been asking around but nobody seemed to have any idea about the town waiter job so nice to know

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 September 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
Town Waiter - Customs/excise official
according to "A dictionary of old trades, title & occupations"
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
A Waiter is an obsolete name for an officer in the employ of the Customs at sea ports . I don't know about a Town-Waiter, but Coast-Waiter and Tide-Waiter are common terms.
There are a 34 Town Waiters listed in the Digital Library of Historical Directories from 1825 to 1900 http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4 and on Ancestry, all except 3 in Liverpool, you would expect them to be distributed more widely if they were customs officers.

This is from the Liverpool Mail - Saturday 05 January 1856 and from the Liverpool Daily Post - Tuesday 16 June 1868

Stan

Offline Irene pilgrim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 September 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
Great posts

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 September 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all, would anyone know what a horse keeper would do in 1870's Liverpool. I know that may sound daft but my GGG grandfather was listed as horse keeper but lived in haylock street (Dingle area I think). I was wondering if it would be anything to do with the "omnibuses" as he was previously an omnibus conductor.
Another of his jobs was a ' towns waiter'  anyone able to help as to what exactly this was?
Many thanks

My grans's dad was a horse keeper in London,he too had been an omnibus driver.

Gran used to tell me tales of being taken by her dad to help feed and care for the horses on a Saturday morning.They were stabled in the same road as she lived,so didn't have far to go and used to pop in just to see them each day after school.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk