Author Topic: John, Elspit & Barbara Watson Rufford Forres Moray  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Coningesby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John, Elspit & Barbara Watson Rufford Forres Moray
« on: Tuesday 18 September 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
While searching the Watson family in Dublin, I came across the Will of John Watson of Dublin, a bookseller, dated 1769.
In this he mentioned his brother William Watson 'at present in Edinburgh' and his two sisters
 'Elspit and Barbara Watson at present in Rufford Moray'.

Up to this point I have assumed that this was an Irish family. Especially as they had a connection
through marriage with another Watson Dublin bookseller family [Elizabeth daughter of this John married Samuel Watson of the other Watson family, which claim to be from Worcestershire in England] I thought they might be cousins [?]

However, finding this Scottish information in the Will of John Watson 1769, his brother in Edinburgh and sisters in Rufford, makes me wonder if this was not just two separate Watson families, only knowing of each other through the Dublin Book trade?

Does anyone know of this Watson connection in Rufford? Or if the girls were just visiting?
Watson (Worcestershire/Herefordshire/Norfolk/Yorkshire)
Coningesby
(Herefordshire)
Owens
(Westmeath Ireland/Hull east Yorkshire)
Grey (Buildwas Abbey Shropshire)
Hungerford-
 South Marston/Salisbury/Lincolnshire Wilts

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John, Elspit & Barbara Watson Rufford Forres Moray
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 16:30 BST (UK) »

I think you may be referring to Rafford, Moray?
On Scotland’s people there are some 200 plus baptisms there between 1700 – 1850, including the two below, its also likely that all 4 were married there.

WATSON   BARBARA   JOHN WATSON/MARG. COOK   F   26/12/1739   Rafford
WATSON   BARBARA   ALEXR. WATSON/BARBARA ANDERSON   F   25/08/1748   Rafford

WATSON   ELSPET   ALEXR. WATSON/ISOBEL WATSON   F   30/07/1748   Rafford
WATSON   ELSPET   JAMES WATSON/AGNES DUFFUS   F   20/05/1726   Rafford

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
I’ve had a second look at your post and I think this might answer your query, following from Moray records on SP

ALEXANDER WATSON married BARBARA ANDERSON - 30/04/1734 Kinloss

ALEXR. WATSON/BARBARA ANDERSON – Rafford baptisms
JEAN 29/03/1739
JOHN 6/12/1741
WILLIAM 7/06/1747
BARBARA 25/08/1748
ALEXANDER 5/11/1749
ELIZABETH (Elspet(?  28/06/1752
ARCHBALD 5/12/1756

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
If John died in 1769 with enough worldly goods to have made a will, surely he must have been born before 1741? How many 28-year-olds have made wills?

Do you know when he was first active as a bookseller in Dublin?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Coningesby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 September 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies Col C and Forfarian

When I transcribed the Will, it said Murray instead of Moray and I thought it read Torres! [Sorry
English person ignorant of Scotland!]
There are details of these Watson families in The Dictionary of Member of the Dublin Book Trade
1550-1800 (see attachment) but no explanation regarding the Scotland connection.
From this, the author says John (of the Will, was born in 1722) 

My research line descends down from Francis Watson d.1747 Dublin. All the printed information states that this family are from Bengeworth/Evesham. This include Sir William Watson of the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company and Sir Charles Moore Watson (Soldier and friend of Gordon of Khartoum)
So you will appreciate how I am now doubtful about the John Watson line, while connected by marriage, are the same Watson family
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HTxcNF500i8C&pg=PR9&lpg=PR9&dq=Pollard+Booksellers+Dublin&source=bl&ots=-LCBjSc-MY&sig=X7V_fu_lG0qt6Zt0O1uTNWJbGLg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4mNTFuMndAhUHDsAKHRUYCc84ChDoATAFegQIBRAB#v=onepage&q=Pollard%20Booksellers%20Dublin&f=false

Watson (Worcestershire/Herefordshire/Norfolk/Yorkshire)
Coningesby
(Herefordshire)
Owens
(Westmeath Ireland/Hull east Yorkshire)
Grey (Buildwas Abbey Shropshire)
Hungerford-
 South Marston/Salisbury/Lincolnshire Wilts