Author Topic: 1851 Census South Shields  (Read 384 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
1851 Census South Shields
« on: Tuesday 18 September 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters, I'm after a favour, I hope it will be allowed to be done but please advise me if it is not possible and I apologise if this is the case.
Could a kind person look on Ancestory and download a page out of the 1851 census and send it to me (the original not a transcript, which I already have).
The reason why. I am with Find My Past and about 3 years ago I tried to extract the required page but it would not come up. I reported it to FindMyPast who advised me that they were looking into it and would advise me when it had been rectified. I heard nothing for about 3 months so got back in touch, same story and again nothing happened. I have just tried again and still the same.
I want the original for 2 reasons:
1. My 2 x G. Grandfather was born in North Yorkshire (it just states Yorkshire on the transcript) but apparently it states where he was born on the original (although it is very hard to read).
2. One of his children, Maria Thompson married a James Thompson 2 years later. The 1851 census has both families living at Westoe village which is actually a street and not a village (Westoe was the village, now part of South Shields). There were large houses in the street and from what I can work out they housed a few families in each house. Unfortunately no street numbers used so I want to see by looking at the no. of schedule to see how close my family lived to Maria's husband to be family (I have their details). Was it a 'living next door to Alice' case or were they farther apart. It's not a very large street and nice to know that you didn't have to go very far to find a husband/wife.

Details of my family: Robert (b.1804) & Margery (b. 1805) Thompson plus children, Robert S. James, Marin (should be Elizabeth), Margery John, William, James, George, HE (Henry Edward) & Albert. Their address is Westoe Village, South Shields, Durham

I hope it is possible for someone to obtain this for me without breaking rules, if not possible I apologise again. If it can be done it will probably have to be sent via a PM.

Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
Reference for anyone trying to help
H0107/2399 Folio 277 p33
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul I will send you a PM

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Snip from census
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
Snip from census

Thanks Stan (once again), Easby is a very small village close to Great Ayton & Stokesley in North Yorkshire. It states Easby Force on the census but with some help worked out that it was Easby Firs which is a farm outside Easby (currently up for sale). Roberts father Thomas is listed as farmer, so it ties in. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields