Author Topic: Lost contact Hands Dairy Tullamore  (Read 1610 times)

Offline quickmick408

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost contact Hands Dairy Tullamore
« on: Tuesday 18 September 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
can anyone recall a family named Hands who used to run a dairy business near Tullamore and delivered their milk into the town we're looking at the 60's here.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lost contact Hands Dairy Tullamore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 18 12:46 BST (UK) »
You could write to the local paper around Tullamore for information, or get in touch with the milk board.

Do you know were about they were near Tullamore could be anywhere.

What was there first names?

Offline brendan thomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
From memory Hands lived in a part of Rahan just outside of Tulamore; the townland was called either Kiliskea or Carton West. I can actually picture the bend on the road where Hand's farm yard was up to the ealry noughties; at least thats the name I remember as the milk delivery people. I think there were (at least) two brothers and I recall them both. Since, as far as I know, both are still alive or definitely have family still there I'm not going to give names. If you pm me I migh be able to help you more.
The other local family who delivered street by street in the town were Kearneys. John Kearney had a horse drawn milk cart drawn and the milk was filled into jugs from the churn and from there to peoples house jugs. Id say the horse was so used to the house stops he was almost on auto pilot each delivery day. Kearneys lived on Clara Road just beyond its junction with Clontarf Road. Again there are family still living locally so I wont mention any names.
Hope this was helpful.

Offline quickmick408

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 October 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Brendan you were right on the money. As soon as I looked on Google Earth I spotted it right away. Good man, Many Thanks

Mick