Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 66923 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 13 October 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
I always add a note under my elusive ancestor if I find a possible candidate such as "A Joe Soap was born in 1750 in Norwich to Cornelius and Mary. More researched needed". Then if I have enough evidence then I add them but if not, they stay out but the note stays (Unless I disprove them) such as 1752, Joe Soap, son of Cornelius buried.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 15 October 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Came across an Ancestry tree yesterday where someone has helpfully attached the following person into our tree which they've copied (I am not the owner of the original tree) -

James Hunter
born c1806 Scotland
married 1840 Lancashire, England
died 1783 Rye, Sussex, England

Didn't bother looking any further  ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 15 October 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
Just found one of my hubbies direct ancestors who was born 1739 and died 1853 according to an Anc tree, multiple copies of the info to other trees. Does no-one question?! There are several records of his actual death in 1811, burial, death duty and an admon all of which confirm I have the correct fellow
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
Came across an Ancestry tree yesterday where someone has helpfully attached the following person into our tree which they've copied (I am not the owner of the original tree) -

James Hunter
born c1806 Scotland

It probably is a big cock up however it can sometimes be as simple as a mistype.  I had a error message come up saying a birth was before the fathers adult age - I'd actually mistyped that he was born in 1908 instead of 1808

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 20:57 BST (UK) »

James Hunter
born c1806 Scotland

It probably is a big cock up however it can sometimes be as simple as a mistype.  I had a error message come up saying a birth was before the fathers adult age - I'd actually mistyped that he was born in 1908 instead of 1808

I do mistypes like that all the time.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 21:28 BST (UK) »
Its not a 'mis-type.' Our Hunters were in Ireland not Scotland at this period but perhaps someone just clicked on Ancestry suggestions to create this mythical James Hunter  ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
I have seen my relies listed as born in Hull, Massachusetts, when they were born in Hull, East Yorkshire  ::)
Another had my Father born in St.John's Wood when he was born in St. John's Nfld, Canada.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 05:50 BST (UK) »
I have seen my relies listed as born in Hull, Massachusetts, when they were born in Hull, East Yorkshire  ::)
Another had my Father born in St.John's Wood when he was born in St. John's Nfld, Canada.
Carol

Ancestry regularly flips my locations to US and Canadian places of the same or similar names. It's a pain and if I've been working on another section of the tree I don't notice for a while. On the plus side I've learnt of the existence of many places.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
Recently I recieved an email from someone who was looking for information/copies of records/ a copy of my tree about one of my directly lines.  I don't have an ancestry account and as far a posting on one of the US forums it must be 15yrs ago since I did... not done it after posting, getting no answers for years and then they arrived thick and fast about anything but nothing to do with who I posted about or even in the same country. I also don't have an online tree.

Back and forth emails, they were after my whole tree and told them I didn't have one online, so they went through how I could send all my files.... NOT happening..... so I turned it around and asked them about their tree and they gave me a link to look..... 30 seconds of looking told me they were name collecting and adding other peoples trees seemed to be their main hobby.

'Her' tree was made up of people world wide,  burial of a couple and they were still baptising children every couple years 50 years after they died and on opposite sides of the world, so if they weren't dead all they did was sail between baptisms...... confirmed to me why I stopped wasting my time on other forums or collect a name ancestry ( and a like) websites
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend