Author Topic: Finding all births for a female ancestor  (Read 1650 times)

Offline FergusC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding all births for a female ancestor
« on: Tuesday 18 September 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
My wife’s grandmother was an illegitimate birth in 1903. The father was not recorded on her birth certificate. When she died my wife’s father found a letter suggesting that she had a brother who emigrated to Canada. Nothing else is known about this person, and he was never discussed by anyone in the family as far as we are aware. My wife’s father is still alive, aged 90, and would like to find out details of his mother’s brother (uncle) if possible. I have been looking for some time, but with very little to go on, I have hit a brick wall. One possible way would be to search for all the births of his grandmother, either in England or in Scotland. However, I am not sure if there is a way to use the details of the mother to obtain all the names of all her children. Does anyone know if this can be done, or is there anything else I could try to identify my wife’s great uncle ( if indeed he exists). It would be an illegitimate birth, as my wife’s great grandmother never married.

Thanks,

FergusC

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Finding all births for a female ancestor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Fergus  ;)

Can you please provide us with the name of g/mother b 1903/where/mothers name?

The English records have mmn whereas Scotland doesn't  :(

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 21:57 BST (UK) »
When she died my wife’s father found a letter suggesting that she had a brother who emigrated to Canada.

What gave the suggestion of a brother & especially emigrating to Canada?

What (roughly) was the wording (assuming the letter no longer exists)?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
My wife’s grandmother was an illegitimate birth in 1903.

Was she brought up by her mother do you know.

Have you found her as a child on the 1911 census?  She could be with a brother, older or younger, on that census who is the person you are looking for.  Probably won't be that easy but somewhere to start  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline FergusC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

My wife’s grandmother is Marion Gilchrist Dickson, born 3 Jan 1903 in 33 Arthur Street, Edinburgh.  Her mother was Roberta Ferguson Dickson born 19 Sept 1864 in McNeill’s Place, Leith.  Although Marion was born in Edinburgh, Roberta had been working in Lancashire and Cheshire since at least the 1881 Census. We think she must have come  back to family in Edinburgh to have her child.

Unfortunately, we know very little about Roberta’s son, other than he was referred to ( though but not by name) in a letter to Marion by another of member of the family preparing for a holiday out to Canada. 

I would also like to be able to find the father of Marion Gilchrist Dickson, but this may be difficult. I had thought of looking in the Kirk Session minutes, but wasn’t sure if this would lead anywhere as it looks like Roberta only came back to Edinburgh to have the baby and wasn’t living in the Parish. Gilchrist isn’t a family name though, so this may be the only clue we have.

Also, in the 1911 Census, we have found both Roberta and Marion. However, they were not living together. Roberta was living in Romily, Cheshire, where she worked as a domestic servant to a single male Doctor. Marion was also living in Romily, but was being raised as a nurse child by another couple. We have found Roberta in every Census but in none of them is she with her child(ren). Although Roberta and Marion were not together in 1911 they got together in later life as Roberta lived with Marion and her husband in later life.

Thanks,

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra information.  Middle names can often be a clue to the fathers name.

Whereabouts was Roberta in 1901 please?

Added - I see her age 36 housekeeper in Lancashire.  Thinking she could have met the father there.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for the family members going out to Canada in the passenger lists ?
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
There's a Marion Dickson a domestic born 1903 going to Canada in 1924 but is she yours - add given
5 Brackleston St Greenock.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline FergusC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In the 1901 Census, Roberta was working as a housekeeper to a family at address Tower, Beasdale, Lancashire. There was no one in the household who could have been Roberta’s son. 

Regarding looking for person in the passenger lists, I have had a look, but problem is I don’t know the person’s name or when they would have emigrated. As far as I know Marion never went out to Canada. She married in Scotland in 1926, and had her two son’s in 1927 and 1928.

Thanks,