Author Topic: Baptism different dates  (Read 971 times)

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism different dates
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
I knew the FS data came from microfilm of parish records which is the reason that I could not understand the differences

Ed
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
First dates may have been private baptisms at home if baby was frail and not expected to survive. 2nd ceremony at church.
Cowban

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
The old LDS site used to include with the register entries some information supplied by members, but not verified from a register, so unreliable.  I don't know if they have weeded these out on the new FS site.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 September 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
The LDS submitted entries are now in a separate section from the extracted data.

As for the discrepancies in dates, they are probably transcription issues.  The original writing may not be clear.
In the first example, it's possible that 7 was misread as 2 or vice versa.
The second one may have confused a 5 with a 6 and misread the month.  Sometimes months are written as Roman numerals.

It's also possible that they are from different sources, one from the PR and one from the Bishops Transcript.  Variations between the two are not uncommon.  All down to human error.

UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.