Author Topic: Designation "Applicant" used in 1851 Census  (Read 992 times)

Offline jbstirling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Designation "Applicant" used in 1851 Census
« on: Wednesday 19 September 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
I have spent many years researching my own Scottish ancestors, but am only now able to find out more about my husband's paternal ancestors from Co. Antrim. Irish records have been scarce in the past, but I was delighted to find the 1851 census recently. However, I don't know what the term Applicant means. It's not used in Scottish censuses. I don't know if the Ellen Acheson I found is my husband's gt-gt-grandmother or a same-name cousin, as the record gives ages and relationships for everyone else in the list but not for her.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Designation "Applicant" used in 1851 Census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
The applicant is the person applying for the Old Age Pension in Ireland. Pension age was originally 70 and since those 70 and over were born before the civil registration of births (thus no birth certificates) the 1851 and 1841 census returns (deposited in Dublin) were used as a method of verifying eligibility.

It wasn't uncommon for people to apply for pension and a search of records failing to turn them up. What townland did the family live in according to the record you found?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
I have spent many years researching my own Scottish ancestors, but am only now able to find out more about my husband's paternal ancestors from Co. Antrim. Irish records have been scarce in the past, but I was delighted to find the 1851 census recently. However, I don't know what the term Applicant means. It's not used in Scottish censuses. I don't know if the Ellen Acheson I found is my husband's gt-gt-grandmother or a same-name cousin, as the record gives ages and relationships for everyone else in the list but not for her.

If you read the Home page before starting a Search for a Surname, all is explained in detail.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
If you read the Home page before starting a Search for a Surname, all is explained in detail.

That might depend on the site been used to carry out the search so just in case
The Home page
http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/search/cs/home.jsp

What survives of the 1851 Census in Antrim may also interest you
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mqu/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:08 BST (UK) »

Offline jbstirling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Ah, so this is actually a record from c1910, when she would be approximately 70? But it doesn't give her age in 1851, so I'm still not sure I have the right person, or her daughter or mother, all of whom had the same name. The address given is in Belfast, but the homeowner's name is not that of anyone in her family living or staying there at the time. What few records I've found of births and deaths have all been in Antrim, but in various villages such as Ballymore. (I'd have to go back to my tree in Ancestry for the names of other villages and towns in what records I've found so far.)

Thanks for the suggestions! I obviously have to get my mind out of the groove worn by years of looking at Scottish and Canadian records. The search format becomes automatic after that length of time.

Now, after typing this reply so far, I find more have come in. The Achesons did live in Armagh at one point, so that would be the same Ellen. I guess. Oh, dear. This is like a family I found in my own Scottish ancestors where three brothers had their first sons all born in the same year, and, as was the traditional naming pattern, all three little cousins were named after their fathers' father, and I didn't know which one was my ancestor.

I was searching using Ancestry.com. Thanks for the link to Home. I'll have to do some self-education before I take this Irish research any further, obviously! A job for this evening after I get home from work, so if i don't reply immediately to other suggestions, I will later in the day.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
If you look at the original images of the census aghadowney posted they will make a lot more sense.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
The application is from 1920 not c1910. In her application she said they would have been living in Aughlish townland, Ballymore Parish, Co. Armagh in 1851. The form says 'Fam[ily] not found see over.' It wasn't uncommon for people to be unsure of their age/birthdate or not remember exactly where they were living back that far.