Author Topic: Thomas Willis and Ann Longstaff marriage 1880 Teesdale  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Willis and Ann Longstaff marriage 1880 Teesdale
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 September 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
PaulineJ had found an Ann Longstaff in 1871 but it can’t be my Ann because she is still there in 1881 and 1891.

I am pretty sure I have found a death for my Ann in 1885 which gives her age as 55 so the birthdate may be 1830.
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 September 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
According to the 1881 Census Ann gives her place of birth as Barnard Castle and year of birth 1836. The closest I can find is a Mary Ann Longstaff baptised Barnard Castle 14 May 1835 parents George, a Currier, and Jane.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
That's a possibility but given the possible new birth date I have an unmarried Ann Longstaff in Staindrop with presumably a daughter Ann in both 1871 and 1851 (when she is living with her Grandmother also Ann!) I can't find the two Anns in 1861 though. This does seem the right neck of the woods.
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 September 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
A slight update in case anyone else may be interested. I found their marriage in the newspaper.

On the 5th instant, at Startforth Church, Mr Thomas Willis of Barnard Castle to Miss A. Longstaff of Rokeby Villa, Startforth.

So it looks like she was unmarried, maybe she was housekeeper at Rokeby Villa?