Author Topic: How to order a Birth Certificate from the GRO England  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to order a Birth Certificate from the GRO England
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all...

This has probably been covered many, many time's before, so I apologise in advance for being a pain!!

However.. does anyone know how to order a Birth Certificate online when you don’t have the actual DOB for the eForm field on the (England / Wales) GRO website… I am trying to order a copy of a birth certificate for what I feel may be a relative born in 1971.. I can fill all the other fields in just not the DOB as I do not know it.

The thing is I know the GRO Index reference already from searching the registers, but it still wants to know an exact DOB as it is a required field. That is one of the reasons I want to get a copy of the birth certificate, because if I already knew that, I would probably be able to do more research without a copy of the birth certificate..

Any help much appreciated..

Thanks for looking...

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to order a Birth Certificate from the GRO England
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 18 04:29 BST (UK) »
The GRO wants to know the exact date of birth for all Birth Certificate requests where the birth is in the last 50 years.
It's to combat fraud and identity theft.

You can write to the GRO, or email them. See:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/contact_us.asp
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 18 04:35 BST (UK) »
The reason you need an exact date is that that person would now only be aged 47 if still living.  Apart from having a right to their own privacy, they most likely also don't want Nigerian scammers attempting to steal their identity.

However if you wait a couple of years you can get anyone's birth certificate after 50 years without a date of birth.  Apparently once you turn 50 you get a magical ring of protection,  possibly something to do with unicorns.

Debra  :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 18 07:57 BST (UK) »
First thing you must understand is the difference between the GRO's legal obligations (law) and their office policy (a policy dreamed up without any thought to the laws they have to comply with).

Their legal obligation is to supply a copy of any marriage, birth and live birth registration in their custody to any person in the world who supplies the required fee and enough information to identify the registration required.

They have no choice in the matter, even the GRO have to obey the law even though they sometimes think they can operate above the law.

Write to them giving the information you have , enclose the required fee and they will supply the certificate.

Cheers
Guy

http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 September 18 08:47 BST (UK) »
They do say
You will be prompted to supply further details for more recent births and deaths (within the last 50 years) as you complete the online application form.
If you are unable to complete the mandatory fields, then you will not be able to apply online.

If you would like to order a certificate by post you can download an application form and guidance note via GOV.UK - or write to GRO at the address shown above confirming the number and type of application forms required.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 September 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
As Guy says they do have to supply (but like to make it difficult for you).

It may be easier (and probably quicker) to order from the local registration office that holds the original record - they will ask why you want it but "family history research" is an acceptable answer.

Or some professional researchers have an access code ( I do)  that allows them to bypass the GRO restriction so one of them could get it for you.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 September 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
As Guy says they do have to supply (but like to make it difficult for you).

It may be easier (and probably quicker) to order from the local registration office that holds the original record - they will ask why you want it but "family history research" is an acceptable answer.

Or some professional researchers have an access code ( I do)  that allows them to bypass the GRO restriction so one of them could get it for you.

So is the facetious "I want to impersonate the subject", I tried this a few years ago when they first started their games.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 September 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
Dear all

Many thanks for your replies and sound advice, it is very much appreciated!

I will write to them with the info I have and post it off with the relevant fee!

I will let you know if they deny me a copy.

Thanks again

Damo

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 September 18 18:01 BST (UK) »

I've got one too but the GRO don't issue them anymore.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea