Author Topic: How to order a Birth Certificate from the GRO England  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to order a Birth Certificate from the GRO England
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 September 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All

As mentioned i will be ordering a copy of the Birth Certificate I want a copy of by post.. however from what everyone is saying here, it seems like another money making exercise?

So you can do the research yourself, and then provide the GRO index ref. and other details, and then get charged to actually get a copy ??

What do they then do? the GRO I mean... If you can search online and then find what you want, why not be able to buy it online... securely of course.. and traceable if needed to see who took what...

Just putting it out there.

Damo

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 September 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
In theory, you can get the GRO ref and order directly, but as the birth you are looking for is less than 50 years old, the GRO will ask to suplly further information to 'validate' your enquiry.

If you have the GRO ref, then phone them and order over the phone but they will ask you for the child's date and specific place of birth and the full names of both parents including the mother's maiden name. They will also ask you for your relationship to the child in question.

If you cannot supply everything they ask, it will be up to the GRO to decide whether to supply or decline.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 September 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hello

The Government probably believe that if born in the last 50 years, that generally relatives know their relations and are able to trace and contact them direct in most cases.

My ex wanted to keep my Childrens Birth Certificates and I needed them for my children living with me.

The easiest way was to have a morning Appointment with the District Registrar covering the area of where they were born and went by train with my Passport and family papers, showed my papers, completed an Application, paid the fee and after dinner she handed them personally to me.

----------

I really don't mind whatsoever Public Authorities being 'awkward' and having to prove I was related, prove who I claimed to be and where I lived. Because I hate fraud and the massive amount of public money being wasted and genuine claimants getting a bad name.

Some councils have discovered they have Let 10 to 20 homes to the same person, who is running a sub-letting scam, in some cases people have got multiple I.D. papers.

This fraud is denying people who have waited on the list for social housing and applied properly.

----------

Sometimes tracing and contacting your relatives direct, with just an old location and full name might be possible?

Many relatives are usually happy to speak by 'phone and exchange old information and old photos by email, when they have sussed you out!

We traced ours forward from early 20th Century in the Archives to a 1980s address (the last year my relative lived there). One sunny afternoon (with my Passport & proof of who I was) called there, but no reply, then to a neighbour no reply, then to another neighbour, who sent me to another lady, who told me my relative had died and knew his Daughter and within several hours I was face to face with a relative (by marriage) who said nothing despite me introducing my full name and who I was related to, until I said my Grandfather was killed in an ... and showed him this old letter about it. Ohhhhhhhhhhh I know who you are, was his reply.

Mark

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

As mentioned i will be ordering a copy of the Birth Certificate I want a copy of by post.. however from what everyone is saying here, it seems like another money making exercise?

So you can do the research yourself, and then provide the GRO index ref. and other details, and then get charged to actually get a copy ??

What do they then do? the GRO I mean... If you can search online and then find what you want, why not be able to buy it online... securely of course.. and traceable if needed to see who took what...

Just putting it out there.

Damo
I just put family research, works for me . . .