Author Topic: Adoption and the Family Tree.  (Read 636 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption and the Family Tree.
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,

I apologise if this question has been raised before but I haven't been able to find it on this site.

How do you treat people who have been adopted on your family tree please? By this I mean which name do you show for them on the tree? I have entered some of my relatives who were adopted in their birth names but noticed that others have put them under their adopted names on their trees. Which is the correct treatment?

Jo.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption and the Family Tree.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
Your research - your tree - so your choice!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
Not sure that this is the "correct" method, but I enter mine under the names given to them by the family which adopted them and add a note explaining that they were adopted, giving the names of their birth parents if known and their birth names.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
Most FH software allows you to do both!

Ancestry, for example, allows you to identify father, alternative father, mother and alternative mother.
With each of these you can identify them as Biological, Adopted, Step, Foster, Related, Guardian, Unknown or Other.

Under Facts, you can add Adoption details as well as Name.
With a name you can select which name is the Preferred.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 September 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Most FH software allows you to do both!

Ancestry, for example, allows you to identify father, alternative father, mother and alternative mother.
With each of these you can identify them as Biological, Adopted, Step, Foster, Related, Guardian, Unknown or Other.

Under Facts, you can add Adoption details as well as Name.
With a name you can select which name is the Preferred.

Seconded, I do exactly this using RootsMagic and GRAMPS software - I add two sets of parents to the person, marked as biological/adopted/step/unknown as appropriate. I then add Alternate Name, Birth and Adoption facts to the individual as required.

I also record the primary/preferred name as BirthForename(s) BirthSurname a.k.a. AdoptedName(s), using the name 'suffix' field for the a.k.a. bit.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 September 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
Every person in my tree is by name at birth. Most of my (many) cousins have had multiple marriages - one was widowed three times. It just makes life so much easier.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 September 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
It would depend on whether they were adopted in or out of the family.

My grandmother had a daughter who was adopted in the 1920s, who I managed to identify her adopted parents and death - she's in my tree under her birth name - with a note as to who adopted her and her adopted name.  Same as my husband's great grandmother's twin sister

With my great grandparents adopted daughter she's in there under her adopted name with a note (she uses her birth name as a middle name on her marriage certificate so thats how I have her) - there is a part of me though that wonders if she actually was my great grandfather's daughter

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 September 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

This is proving a particular problem on one line where numerous adoptions occurred in the past. It has been confusing when comparing the different family trees.

Jo