Author Topic: Date Please-The Wilson Family from Edinburgh. Photo taken in Dalkeith, Scotland  (Read 1926 times)

Offline awilson116

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I believe the man on the left hand side of the photograph (holding the child) is my Wilson ancestor. I would be really grateful if some one could put a date on when the photograph may have been taken. I have tried to research the photographer John Trotter Jr of Dalkeith without success. I have posted the front and back of the photograph.

Many thanks for your help

Anna

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date Please-The Wilson Family from Edinburgh. Photo taken in Dalkeith, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
1880's?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Date Please-The Wilson Family from Edinburgh. Photo taken in Dalkeith, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
Yes 1880's & I would say early-mid decade.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
I over exposed the image, and according to the very hard to read pencil on the back it seems to indicate "L - John Wilson".  There is a second line as well, but most is obscured at the moment except for the word "Wilson" on the right side. If that helps at all.

Mr Trotter Jr is indeed hard to find info on. However, apparently for a nominal fee, this place has him listed:

http://www.victorianphotographers.co.uk/index.php/victorian-photographers-t/trotter-john-junior-/p_54782.html

The photo looks mid to late 1870s and later.

I cleaned the image a bit for you, perhaps it will help.

I just like to do photo restores.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
I agree with an 1880s date.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline awilson116

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your responses in dating the photograph it has given me a clearer idea about when it was taken. Dr Dude45  thank you for restoring the photo - it looks great so much clearer and for the link I think I will pay the fee and see if it records the dates of when he was in  business.

Many thanks once again

Anna

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 September 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
Linked to that same site is

http://www.cartedevisite.co.uk

I’ve used that before. they were able to narrow img photos down to a 5 yr period,

Offline Lesley.Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is off topic but I wonder if there is any connection to my family of Wilsons from Dalkeith?  I'm descended from David Wilson b 1785 and his son John b 1819 and his son Robert born 1844 then onwards to my Grandmother. :)

Offline awilson116

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley.Lynch

The man I think is in the photo is my great grandfather John Christie Wilson born 1854 in Falkirk, his father was William Wilson born 1810 in Muiravonside, Stirling and his father was Charles Wilson who was married to Catherine Clapperton. I cannot trace a marriage or birth for Charles I just know that he appears in the baptism records in 1805 in Larbert, Stirling with the baptism of his daughter Anne Wilson.
I am not sure of the connection to Dalkieth the only possible link is that William Wilson's sister Christina married Peter Ketchen, who was from Lasswade which I think is near Dalkeith. It would be interesting to know if there may be a link between my Wilson's and yours?

Anna