Author Topic: Searching for parentage of William Campbell and Robert Sutherland  (Read 4401 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for parentage of William Campbell and Robert Sutherland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 September 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
There are 3 possible birth records in Latherton on SP for Robert Sutherland born around 1792 father Robert, mother not named. Although the is no Janet there are two unnamed records father Robert 1789 & 1793 and a lot of named children only father Robert noted. 

Birth
SUTHERLAND   HENERITA   JOHN SUTHERLAND/   06/09/1795   Latheron

Marriage
SUTHERLAND   HENERITA   JOHN GUNN/   21/05/1812   Latheron

By strange coincidence there is a record on A…..y which shows an Henrietta Sutherland death age 84 in 1878, her father was William McKay, the entry below is Henrietta Gunn widow of John, father John Sutherland a Chelsea Pensioner Deceased.

Colin

PS: Remember death/.census records are not always accurate.
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline RobertaRTD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 September 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
I found another site that also showed Robert Gunn as son of John Gunn 11 Jan 1787, Latheron Parish-16 Sep 1861 Ramscraigs, Dunbeath, and Henrietta Sutherland.  It showed John's parents as William Gunn 1754-1791 and Margaret Sutherland m. 15 Jan 1769 in Latheron parish.
It also showed Henrietta's parents as John Sutherland and Ann Sutherland m. 6 June 1785.
However, none of these showed a Janet Sutherland m. to Robert Sutherland, parents of my Janet Sutherland, among the list of their children.
I am amazed at how many Sutherlands married each other.  No wonder searching is so difficult.
I guess the best thing to do is try to find death certificates for Robert Sutherland and Janet Sutherland, knowing they both died before Janet' death in 1873; and John Campbell's parents, William Campbell and Isabella Gow, both deceased before John's death in 1868.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 September 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
The information on Henrietta Gunn nee Sutherland 1794, was from an SP death record attached to an A…y file.

Regarding Robert & Janet Sutherland.

I guess from your notes this is the family in 1851?

Town of Houstry in the Parish of Latherton, Caithness. Abode Payingag
Farmer Of 6 Arces

Robt Sutherland    80
Janet Sutherland    67
Cathine Sutherland    40
Grandchildren.   
Alexr Sutherland    16
Robt Sutherland    14
Ann Sutherland            12
George Sutherland    5
Ellen Sutherland    3

Janet is also noted as 67 on the SP census, therefore could have been born around 1784 and Robert about 1771. depending which is correct this census or the death record.

So it is possible that they died after 1855 when Statutory Registration began.
For Janet there are a number of deaths after 1861.

There are two possible deaths for Robert indicating he was born 1777, so that narrows down the births between 1771 & 1777 to 3, my guess he was born 1771 father Robert as that was the name of their eldest son.

SUTHERLAND   ROBERT   82   MCKENZIE           1859   Latheron
SUTHERLAND   ROBERT   83   SUTHERLAND   1860   Latheron

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline RobertaRTD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 September 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
That census will not work for Janet's parents, Robert Sutherland and Janet Sutherland.  Janet, wife of John Campbell, shows as aged 94 at death in Jan 1873 in her death certificate making her birth date 1778.
The Robert Sutherland in that 1851 census shows as 80 years of age, making his birth year about 1771.

On Janet's death certificate, it shows her deceased father, Robert Sutherland as a crofter and fisherman, same as her husband, John Campbell.  Her son-in-law John Murray was present.
On John Campbell's death certificate, his brother Robert Campbell was present.

Another item I found:  Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 shows Isobell Gow chr. Jan 1761, Latheron, Caithness, Scotland, dau. of Kenneth Gow.
I am attaching the 1871 census that needs looking at.

Offline RobertaRTD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 September 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
It would not accept the attachment, so go to this site:
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1871Scotland&indiv=try&h=1285706
If you click on each person, it will show the relationship to the mother, Catherine Sutherland.  Otherwise, I have spelled it out in an attachment that already shows the relationship.
Why won't it accept the attachment of 13 KB when the limit is 500 KB?  I will change it so it is more readable.  Still didn't work.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 September 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Luckily I am a member of Ancestry so I was able to open your link.

Good Luck with your research.

Colin

Offline RobertaRTD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 September 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
Can you tell me more about the Dunbeath estate.  That 1871 census involves a lot of people and I am having trouble figuring out who belongs to whom.  Especially since so many show Catherine Sutherland as their mother!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline RobertaRTD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, I thought it was part of the castle.  I am pretty sure they were all employees at the time.  Looks like the Sinclairs were the owners at that time.
Any chance you looked at that 1871 census?  It shows Catherine Sutherland, 94y as the mother and there are 40 in the list that show Catherine as their mother, some as young as 3 years of age.  I am assuming they are children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.  I would love to find out who was her husband and who are her children.