Author Topic: Inquest into 1919 Death  (Read 492 times)

Offline rhysgriff92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inquest into 1919 Death
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
Evening all am pretty new to this and received the death certificate of my Great Grandfather Henry Davies who died by being run over by a train crossing a level crossing in Taffs Well, South Wales on 14 August 1919. The certificate says inquest held 16th August I've looked at Wales Newspapers Online and found nothing. What do you think the likelihood of there being something in a paper at that time. Also any chance to try and find a coroners report or is that a very long shot given the records aren't usually kept. Basically just wondered what you would do in this situation who would you speak to etc?

Many thanks,
Rhys

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest into 1919 Death
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 18 08:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootshchat Rhys.  :)

Coroners reports can be very hit and miss.  Either they are available or not depending on what was kept.

May I suggest that you contact Glamorgan Records Office and check if they have any coroners records and if so what period they cover.  Link below:-

https://glamarchives.gov.uk/

You have evidently drawn a blank regarding newspaper reports.  Considering what happened I would have thought that would be newsworthy but not everything gets into the newspapers.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline rhysgriff92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
Morning thank you so much for your reply. Yes that's true isn't it not everything does make the newspaper so no need to panic etc.  Oh that sounds brilliant, I will contact Glam Archives thank you very much!

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
The inquest may not have made the news but the accident may have. Look in the newspaper around the death date if you haven't already, a name may not be mentioned.

I tried to find a newspaper report of the inquest of my gt gt grandmother's first child, the boy was crushed between barges whilst jumping from one to the other. The lad in the newspaper was just referred to as the son of my gt gt grandmother who was at the inquest. I found it after a fruitless search under his name by just putting in the surname.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline rhysgriff92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
Oh that is very interesting medpat I've been looking just online at Wales Newspapers Online but I think I will need to pop to my local library when I get a chance as they will hopefully stock more local newspapers.  I might try more searches without the name etc.   Thanks so much!