Author Topic: Joseph Brzeski  (Read 780 times)

Offline smudgepants

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Brzeski
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, wondering if anyone can help, I have just visited the Aneau de memoire near Arras, France. This is a monument with 580,OOO names of Soldiers who were killed or went missing in WWI. There is a name of a Polish soldier which interests me, the name is Joseph Brzeski. I am wondering if I am related to him because of the surname. I don't know when he died. Can anyone help? 

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Brzeski
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 18 09:22 BST (UK) »
His name doesn't appear in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site or in any British military record that I can see.  According to Wikipedia, the memorial commemorates soldiers of forty different nationalities who fell in that region of France so who he fought for would be the essential thing to know.  This is significant:
The Ring of Memory is the only memorial that lists names alphabetically with no distinctions in rank, nationality, or allegiance. Prost stresses, “No ranks, no nationalities: just a dizzying list of the human stories that ended on France’s northern battlefields.

This is just one hit from searching Polish forces in WW1:http://www.hallersarmy.com/FranceBattles.php there are bound to be more.

Not sure how you'd proceed from here?  You could try to establish from the French where they got the names from, the input would perhaps have had more detail.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
The following link has a Polish Army in France Casualty List for WW1.
You need to Register with the site to access the information.

http://www.polishroots.org/Research/History/tabid/278/Default.aspx

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline smudgepants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 September 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
Tony, I tried the link you suggested and it appears to be faulty. The site works but the list is not working, looks like a technical problem they ae having.   

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 September 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
I came up with zero results for any Joseph Brzeski fighting in the Polish Army or Died for France in WW1.

However, there is a Joseph Brzeski who was in the German Army:

Date of birth: 25.04.1890
Date of death/becoming missing: 23.08.1915
Place of death/becoming missing: nicht verzeichnet (not listed)
Buried in the military cemetery in Frankfurt/Main-Hauptfriedhof.

As the place of death is not listed, unable to confirm if this is the same Joseph Brzeski who is on the
L'Anneau de la Mémoire.

Tony

Added: The Polish spelling of the first name is Jozef, the German soldier is Joseph.
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline smudgepants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
The surname Brzeski is definately Polish. I wonder if there is any way of finding out this man's heritage.   

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 06:39 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the www.volksbund.de website does not give the place of birth for Joseph Brzeski.

He is listed on another website which shows the regiment he served with and also has an alternative spelling of his first name as Josef:

http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/2018/frankfurt-am-main_hptfriedhof_dt-kriegsgraeber_wk1_hs_a-e.html

Tony