Author Topic: Ignore  (Read 12028 times)

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ignore
« on: Friday 21 September 18 05:03 BST (UK) »
Is there a method on this forum to ignore/not see posts from a particular poster?

thanks

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 18 05:24 BST (UK) »
Don't think so.  Only by ignoring them as you look through the list.

If someone has been abusive then a report to the moderator would be a good idea.
Happened to me once, and while the mods said there was little they could do, they must have said something to this person as I didn't see any of her posts for over a year!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 18 05:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks - difficult to scroll past page long posts that are directed at you in red ink. I'll just go back to lurking for a time and hope it all goes away.

thanks for replying

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 06:42 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799504.0

and

I read the Opening Post as though Andcarred is referring to New South Wales BDM restrictions for accessing their marriage registrations.  I doubt there's many ways to determine my maiden name without accessing NSW BDM records.    I have tried, so too have my elderly rellies, including retired clergy, retired Archivist, retired senior officers from NSW BDM and we have challenged the younger set to finding us online....  they have not yet succeeded, despite being given clues like: 

Typing something in red doesn't make it any easier or clearer to read. As I said - your people have limited internet exposure. If they don't want to be found online - that is to their benefit.

I do not take kindly to be yelled at on an internet forum & this red type is the same as writing in all caps. Please do not reply to me in this fashion.

and also elsewhere on that thread, I wrote :

Westward,

There's many opportunities to advance sensible discussions here on the Australia Board and elsewhere at RChat, and I approach each opportunity with good will, as I assume you and everyone else does.  To me, it is important when contracting a post for the purposes of quoting a fellow RChatter, that the extracted quote does NOT mis-represent the original quote.  I expressed my concern that you were mis-quoting me, by highlighting it in red and underlining it.   If you feel this is the same same shouting at you, then that's your interpretation.  I know my intent was to emphasise it.   If that is not complying with your standards then I suggest you use the R2M button and actively involve a Global Moderator.   

There is an IGNORE button which will likely be the option that Westward is seeking, it is available via the modify profile option.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 18 06:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have someone I ignore, but you still see their posts, with a message that ‘you are ignoring this member’.

I like highlighted posts. I use purple, simply because I don’t like red. Even when I was teaching I refused to use red and it got me into strife with more than one Principal.  ;D

The use of colour and underline is simply highlighting, as is the use of ‘bold’, nothing to do with shouting.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 September 18 08:11 BST (UK) »

There is an IGNORE button which will likely be the option that Westward is seeking, it is available via the modify profile option.

JM

If you skim past or do not read the posts of a contributor on a topic, I fear you will have trouble making sense of the flow of the whole topic, because you will have seen only the bits you wanted to.

It may put your own contributions to that thread in danger of irrelevance.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 05:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have someone I ignore, but you still see their posts, with a message that ‘you are ignoring this member’.

I like highlighted posts. I use purple, simply because I don’t like red. Even when I was teaching I refused to use red and it got me into strife with more than one Principal.  ;D

The use of colour and underline is simply highlighting, as is the use of ‘bold’, nothing to do with shouting.

Jamjar

When someone is attacking your posts - and writing pages and pages of nonsense to do it - using RED INK is shouting - just like using upper case. It is not like bolding or using a colour other than red.

My question was answered succinctly by Dawn M. There was ZERO need for another poster to add any further information nor  to follow me around and continue to shout at me in red type.

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 05:53 BST (UK) »

If you skim past or do not read the posts of a contributor on a topic, I fear you will have trouble making sense of the flow of the whole topic, because you will have seen only the bits you wanted to.

It may put your own contributions to that thread in danger of irrelevance.

Sue

Feel free to bypass any of my  posts that you think are irrelevant. I prefer to bypass reading information that does nothing but criticize the posts of other people. I also see no point in reading 200 words when about 10 would have said the same thing.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 06:26 BST (UK) »

Feel free to bypass any of my  posts that you think are irrelevant. I prefer to bypass reading information that does nothing but criticize the posts of other people. I also see no point in reading 200 words when about 10 would have said the same thing.

Well, that’s the beauty of Rootschat. Contributors can offer as much or as little as they choose and likewise, absorb  as much or as little as they choose.
Often a learning experience for me as so many users have extensive knowledge and skills where my own are lacking.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk