Author Topic: Find My Past problems  (Read 872 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Find My Past problems
« on: Friday 21 September 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else having problems with FindMyPast this morning?

It was absolutely fine yesterday but today is opening into a completley strange homepage that looks like a work in progress.

I keep getting taken back to a world records page when I'm trying to search English records and, anyway, instead of the usual star/circle going round and round whilst the search is underway, I'm getting a small rectangle going round and round, seemingly ad nauseam.

I'm hoping the problem is at their end (why don't they just leave things alone if they're not broke?) and not mine. It looks to me like some clever dick has been playing with the layout and made some very strange errors. I've tried to email them but it disappeared when I hit the 'review' button!!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past problems
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
I never log in to the home page so don't know what it should look like, I understand they have been playing around with it for a few weeks now.   I go straight into Britain records using a shortcut on my toolbar and that is working fine for me today
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes it's been playing up for weeks now.
I'm fed up with the message OOPs something went wrong or clicking on the image icon to find it freezes my computer.
I've just renewed and that was a pain in the bum as well

Ciderdrinker

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 12:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.

I tried your link, rosie and it took me to the 'normal' search page but as soon as I hit search, it disappears and I'm left with a long scroll of what appears to be the different toolbar options etc but in a list something like I've seen before when a website hadn't been completed.

I know what you mean about the oops message - so annoying. Yes, I too have been suffering their snags etc for a while now but this is something completely different. Even the screen that appeared when I used rosie's link, suddenly disappeared below the screen and I had to scroll down to find it beneath a load of gobbledegook.

Apparently my email to them did get sent as I've had the stock acknowledgement from them.

I'm just hoping its not something to do with my old Vista operating system but, although a few sites have emailed me in the past that they no longer 'support' it, the sites still work!

Oh well, at least my FindMyPast sub is up for renewal next month so if they don't or can't sort it, I shall no longer be 'supporting' them!!

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
I had a few 'Oops' messages but otherwise everything seemed OK.

If I go to the home page, sometimes I get the old style with the photo and, at other times, I get that daft Dashboard page. Usually I go to the Search page.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 September 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
I don't know anyone who likes that dashboard page but I'm the same - sometimes I get that and sometimes I get the old style page.

They got back to me - quite quickly so that was promising - but just asked me to empty my cache, which seems to be their go-to advice. I did that but it made absolutely no difference even when I restarted my PC.

I was losing my cool with it all, so switched the PC off and went away for a time. When I came back and switched on again, everything was running so slowly I feared the worse but - lo!- I've got my FindMyPast homepage back. No idea why - I really don't think it was the cache thing, but who knows? certainly not me!

I do wish they would reply to emails in such a way that you can then reply to their email but they make it impossible, presumably so that they don't have to conduct an ongoing dialogue with you. The trouble with that is that, in my case, I had to keep scrolling down the screen (as it had all its headings squashed into a 2" column down the left hand side of the screen) and I couldn't tell where the 'email us' facility was nor if indeed it was working.

So, isn't it nice that the old 'switch off and switch back on' thing actually worked!!! I could run a masterclass.....

Jill (much relieved)
HELP!!!

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 September 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
IT Crowd: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"  ;D

Blue