Author Topic: Cause of Death on Certificate  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Stephen Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of Death on Certificate
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 September 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
The word looks to me more like “lurry”.

I agree, there are numerous references to a 'lurry' on the roads c.1909.

One article mentions a car owned by John Stanning being in a collision with a lurry. The driver of the lurry suffered a compound fracture of the left leg. The front part of the lurry was smashed and the horse bolted.

Therefore it would appear that the lurry was a horse driven vehicle.

JJ

And my great-grandfather drove a horse and cart for a living so this may have been a working injury perhaps. I shall try and get hold of the inquest report

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 September 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
 I wonder how many people have died as a result of the bad handwriting of a Doctor.

Martin

Offline Stephen Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 September 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
The word looks to me more like “lurry”.

I agree, there are numerous references to a 'lurry' on the roads c.1909.

One article mentions a car owned by John Stanning being in a collision with a lurry. The driver of the lurry suffered a compound fracture of the left leg. The front part of the lurry was smashed and the horse bolted.

Therefore it would appear that the lurry was a horse driven vehicle.

JJ

Apologies, in my excitement I forgot to say thank you in my previous reply. This is really helpful. Thanks  :)

Offline Stephen Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 September 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see if there are any newspaper articles to confirm which 'vehicle' ran over this person?

JJ
Not yet as I only received the death certificate this morning. The newspaper archive is in Manchester so I'll have to schedule a weekend up there as they aren't online yet.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 September 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
I've had a very quick look at in the British newspaper archive, and found the word occurring frequently in 1860, and still in use in 1921. Also found a reference to a lurry stablekeeper in 1850. This is interesting, as a year or two ago I tried to find out the origin of the word, as Americans don't use it, and found very few references to it. I didn't have the BNA at the time.

Also, 1850, "... Thirty-six EARTH WAGGONS, in excellent condition ; several Pairs of Shear Legs, three Lurries, three Ginny WAGGONS ; Eight excellent CARTS, with 3-inch, 4-inch, and 0-inch Wheels; Iron Anns, two superior Provision Carts ..."

Martin