Author Topic: Blair or Lyall, Inveresk 1800-1830  (Read 1246 times)

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blair or Lyall, Inveresk 1800-1830
« on: Friday 21 September 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
I am researching Peter Blair, baptised 20 May 1806 at Musselburgh.  Record shows father to be George Blair and mother Margaret Lyall.  I  can not get further back than this as I can't find George or Margaret's birth or marriage.

They had children up to 1813.  I have found a marriage of George Lyall, Tailor, in Inveresk in 1828.  Spouse Marion Goodall.  Children: Thomas 1829, Rose Hill 1831 and Helen Thomson 1832.  Sponsor for one baptism was Robert Lyall.  George's death is recorded in 1834.

I am wondering if the George who married Margaret Lyall is the same one who married Marion Goodall.  However, I can not find any record of death of Margaret.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome.
Jim

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Blair or Lyall, Inveresk 1800-1830
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
Does the 1828 marriage entry show George as a widower?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not.  Just says George Blair, Tailor.  The burial in 1834 of George Blair, tailor, does not give age but I was speculating that if he died in 1834 he might be getting on in age and old enough to have married twice.  Does anyone have any access to monumental inscriptions for Inveresk, which might mention other family members?
Jim

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
More information on this.
George Blair had a son George baptised in 1808, so it is quite possible that the George, a tailor, who married Marion Goodall and died in 1834 is the son, rather than the father.  I know the death in 1834 is the one who married Marion Goodall, as she remarried Alexander Gillespie and two of her Blair children lived with her in 1841.

I note that most baptisms of George Blair's children between 1800 and 1816 have witnesses Thomas Blair and Peter Lyall.The only Thomas Blair I can find in Inveresk is Thomas who married Marion Fairly in 1896.  This suggests he may be a brother of George.  If so, I believe his father may be Charles Blair, who married Katherine Simpson in 1869.  However, there is no apparent baptism of George in Charles's family and, apart from Thomas, other childrens' names (Robert and Christian) are not repeated in George's family.  All this assumes that the Blairs all lived in Inveresk, as it becomes very complex if I look wider!
Jim