Author Topic: William John Lloyd, RAFVR, 909807 - What happened to him?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William John Lloyd, RAFVR, 909807 - What happened to him?
« on: Friday 21 September 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am helping a friend with their family research & am struggling to find information regarding the circumstances surrounding the death of the above mentioned man.

William John Lloyd was born in the Dec qtr of 1915 in Marnhull, Dorset to parents William Charles (1884-1955) & Ethel Louisa Lloyd (Nee' Sharp) (1889/90-1928).

William John Lloyd died on 3rd Sept 1940 and is buried in St Gregory's Churchyard in Marnhull, Dorset.

His CWGC entry is here: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2709262/lloyd,-william-john/

It shows him to be in the RAFVR and an 'Aircraftman 2nd Class' who was 24 years old.

His burial record shows that he was buried on 6th Sept 1940 under the name of 'Jack Lloyd' aged 24 years, it further states that he 'died 3.9.40 in Saffron Walden General Hospital from War Injuries'. His death index record is also registered under the name of Jack Lloyd in Sept qtr 1940 in Saffron Walden registration district.

However, I cannot find anything regarding the circumstances of his death. Neither can I find a squadron number for him (i.e which squadron he served with at the time of his death.)

A possibility is this:

Name: Lloyd, ?
Nationality: BR (British)
Sqn during Battle: 29
Awards: -
Notes: Flew only 1 operational sortie.

The above from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAF_aircrew_in_the_Battle_of_Britain_(L%E2%80%93N)

However this site: http://www.the-battle-of-britain.co.uk/men/li.htm suggests that the 29 squadron man above was a sergeant.

I have been unable to determine whether this was him or not.

Could someone assist with determining whether the 29 squadron man is him & if it is not then which squadron was he in & what were the circumstances surrounding his death please!

Any and all assistance gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: William John Lloyd, RAFVR, 909807 - What happened to him?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
As an Aircraftsman I think he would be more likely to be ground crew rather than aircrew, so he may have been posted to an airfield, not to a squadron.

The closest RAF airfield I can find to Saffron Walden is RAF Debden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Debden

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/29_wwII.html states that 29 Squadron were at Debden from 10 May to 7 Jun 1940 but had moved twice before September when they were at Wellingore, Lincolnshire.

The death certificate would give the cause of death, but not the circumstances surrounding it.  What you would need is a squadron or airfield log.  Unless of course, hospital records are available (but that's a long shot!)

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Phillip,

Many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

My thanks for the info & suggestions, much appreciated.

As regards the rank of Aircraftsman, I have seen this rank listed online in losses as either Wireless Operators and/or Gunners. However, you are right in that I should bear in mind that he could have been either Aircrew or Ground crew.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 18 00:51 BST (UK) »
You already have enough information to make it worthwhile calling the RAF Museum at Hendon (020 8205 2266) and asking for the archive department, who should be be able to provide details of his death if he was aircrew, which I am also inclined to doubt.

Alternatively you might also try  the Air Historical Branch, tel: 020 8833 8155/8153.

I have found both organisations very helpful in the past.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 September 18 07:26 BST (UK) »
post deleted
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 September 18 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Keitht & Tonepad,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Keitht, Many thanks for those suggestions, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 September 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
To confuse things he's reported in the Western Gazette as a 'Private'....

Western Gazette 20-Sep-1940 p8.

FUNERAL OF PTE. W. J. LLOYD
Much sympathy has been expressed with Mr. W. C. Lloyd at the death of his eldest son. Private William John (Jack) Lloyd whilst service. He was 24 years of age. The bodv was brought to Marnhull for burial the service at St Gregorys being conducted Dr. Hellins. The hymns, " The strife o'er" and " Abide With Me." were sung. The bearers were members of the Home Guard, who also provided the firing party. The family mourners were Mr. W. C. Lloyd (father); Miss F. Lloyd (aunt); Private Peter and Lance-Bdr. Claude Lloyd and Leslie (brothers); Mary (sister); Mrs Dowding, Mrs. Rowland. Mrs. E Lewis Mrs. James Sharp Mrs. John Sharp (aunts); Messrs. James and John Sharp Mr. E. Lewis (uncles); Messrs. David. Rex, Max, Misses Joan, Gladys and Marion Sharp, Peggy and Nancy Lewis. Mrs. C. Moore. Dick and Percv Lloyd (cousins). Officers and men of Private Lloyd's unit also attended. Mr. and Miss Lloyd and other relatives wish to thank all kind friends for letters of sympathy their sad bereavement, and for floral tributes.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 September 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
If his rank was indeed Private then he did not serve with the RAF or the RAFVR

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 September 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
If his rank was indeed Private then he did not serve with the RAF or the RAFVR

Clearly an error by the newspaper and/or family. The CWGC record shows he served with the RAF and was buried in that cemetery.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)