Author Topic: Kidman / Bruce Brentford  (Read 1652 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Kidman / Bruce Brentford
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 September 18 15:32 BST (UK) »

Married in 1938 to Edward O Bruce - Brentford  Have no other information on them except they had four children born in Brentford

cupcake

Using FreeBMD I can see two children Bruce/Kidman born in Brentford (son 1940/daughter 1945) and one (daughter 1945) in Ealing.   :-\   Could there be two Bruce/Kidman couples?

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 September 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
I think the one that you named previously, CC, was not the correct one As NannyJ says, there was another daughter in Brentford.

The previous posts refer to a birth in 1948 not 1945  - see my next post.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 September 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I think you were referring to a 1948 one, which is the one whose details I sent earlier . She died  in 2000 after 2 marriages .
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 September 18 08:09 BST (UK) »
Edward Osborne Bruce did die in 1945:
https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2658825/bruce,-edward-osborne/

The birth certificate info would depend on what the informant (probably Sylvia) stated, so it is entirely possible that Edward is listed as the father.

Thank you.
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 September 18 08:34 BST (UK) »

Sylvia Bruce re-married in 1960 to a Kenneth R Ellis , Ealing.

Sylvia Ellis died 1993 Chichester  and Kenneth died 1995 Chichester.  16 Northfied Selsey, Chichester, West Sussex.
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 September 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
The birth certificate info would depend on what the informant (probably Sylvia) stated, so it is entirely possible that Edward is listed as the father.

My money would be on no father named and mother named as Sylvia BRUCE formerly KIDMAN.

Debra  :)

Offline stephenjbruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 March 24 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cupcake
Not sure what you are after .
Much of the info is quite easy to find on line.
She was born 3 Sep 1916 in Witney,Oxfordshire.
She died at Chichester as Sylvia Ellis Dec qtr 1993,having remarried to a Kenneth Ellis at Ealing in Sep qtr 1960

Is that what you were after?

Ciderdrinker

Very late to the party on this one, but I'm the great-nephew of Edward Osborne Bruce. 

I'm in touch with Edward and Sylvia's son (born 1940, as mentioned in this thread, and registered in Brentford Q1 1940), and my understanding is that Sylvia was pregnant with his sister (born 1945, again as mentioned, and registered in Brentford Q3 1945) when Edward died in March 1945. 

However, it has been a mystery in the family what happened to Sylvia and her daughter after Edward died.

This thread suggests some answers, but it'd help to confirm:
  • Where the specific date for Sylvia's birth comes from (3 Sep 1916): I've only so far got the FreeBMD record (birth registered Q4 1916).
  • How we can be sure that it's this Sylvia that married Kenneth R Ellis in 1960.
The potential for confusion is that:
  • Edward and Sylvia married in Brentford Registry Office (I have the certificate) on 11 Jun 1938.
  • Elsewhere in this thread, it's mentioned that Sylvia Bruce (later Ellis) is in Ealing for the 1939 Register - presumably with Edward.
  • Their son is registered in Brentford in 1940.
  • Their daughter is registered in Brentford in 1945.
  • There's a Bruce birth (mother's maiden name Kidman) registered in Ealing in Q4 1948.
  • Sylvia Bruce is said to have married Kenneth R Ellis in Ealing in 1960.
In other words, there's either a back-and-forth between Brentford and Ealing, or there's more than one Sylvia Bruce involved... hence my questions above which will hopefully solidify the marriage to Kenneth R Ellis!

Many thanks in advance!

Stephen

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 March 24 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

A bit of background for you that I think will clear up the confusion:

Brentford registration district covered Ealing until 1947, when Brentford was broken up and Ealing district created.
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/brentford.html

Therefore the 1940, 1945, and 1948 births could all have been at an Ealing address, despite the different registration districts.

As to the birthdate and later marriage, the 1939 register wasn't just recording what happened in 1939, it also records later name changes in many cases because it was used as the basis for the NHS register from 1948 onwards. 
So Sylvia Bruce, living with Edward O Bruce in 1939, has Ellis recorded against her name, because when she later married it was noted on her NHS records (this can also be used as a source for her birthdate)
https://search.findmypast.com.au/search-world-records/1939-register
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stephenjbruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 March 24 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!

After posting, I did spot the Ealing / Brentford 1947 registration milestone and - of course - they're so close geographically, it makes sense that they could both feature.

Sounds like there are a few things that are clear, and in particular what happened to Sylvia, but it does raise more questions:
  • What happened in the intermediate aftermath of my great uncle's death in 1945 and how the family ended-up split, without later being back in contact.
  • Who the father of Sylvia's 1948 child is.
  • Perhaps most of all, whether to mention all this to her eldest child (born 1940): he grew up without his mother, sister and now - it seems - half-siblings, always wondering what happened.
Again, thank you for the help and clarifications!