Author Topic: WWI Soldier Working at Woolwich and the Research Centre on Foulness Island 1917  (Read 743 times)

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My great-grand father Alfred Sell joined the army in 1899 and fought in the Boar War and later served in China and Ceylon. I have found his attestation papers which shows his army career between 1899 and 1908 but I can't find any official records from after that.
He became a reserve in 1908 and in 1913 worked at the Royal Artillery Barracks at Woolwich. This involved his family moving to Pumstead where they lived for 3 years but they moved back to Camden in London where they had previoulsy lived. My grandmother told me that he was required to work in Belgium after the war heping clean up the battle fields at Ypres and Poperinge, but inbetween she told me he was doing what she called secret reseasrch work in Foulness Island.
I had forgottent his until I recently traced my mothers family, some of whom by coincidence came from Foulness which reminded me of what she said.
There don't seem to be any books available on the history of Foulness and I have done a bit of research on line but can't find out much except that the area was used from 1917 onwards for military research puposes when the army built a new road for easy acccess to the island and later it was used in relation to nuclear weapon research. I was hoping to find out exatly what my great-grandfather may have done between 1917 and 1919. He was only a private in the army with no special skills although gained a few medals which sadly are now lost.
Does anyone one know anything about the early research carried out at Foulness and about its connection to Woolwich and what work my great-grandfather might have done there?

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Soldier Working at Woolwich and the Research Centre on Foulness Island 1917
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 September 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
No answers yet - just questions:

What was Alfred's regiment and service number 1899-1908?

Do you know which regiment or corps he served in in the Great War?
(My guess would be Royal Garrison Artillery or Labour Corps - but I could very well be wrong!)

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Soldier Working at Woolwich and the Research Centre on Foulness Island 1917
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
You should look for material on the Proof and Experimental Establishment Shoeburyness which Foulness Island has been a part of for years.  It went under the title Experimental Establishment earlier.  Its main task was the testing and trialling of primarily artillery guns and ammunition, secret in the sense that access to the public was not allowed as would be the case in all such places.  I don't think it had any connection with nuclear research although bomb and shell components may have been tested there.

The connection to Woolwich would be that both were Royal Artillery stations and Shoeburyness had artillery schools and ranges.  Horseshoe Barracks at Shoeburyness is now housing but still has a few listed buildings including the splendid Officers' Mess (where I was dined out at the end of my service some years ago).

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 September 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
Phillip - Between 1899 and 1908 he was in the Royal West Kent Regiment, service number 5640. After that I don't know what regiment he was connected to.

MaxD - thanks for the info, I will look at records connected to Shoeburyness.