Author Topic: Salome Mary Doyle nee (Mary Plunkett) - born 1900 or 1901  (Read 6340 times)

Offline dannydo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Salome Mary Doyle nee (Mary Plunkett) - born 1900 or 1901
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 23 September 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you to all who have responded to my post.

This is my first attempt to reply to some of the questions raised, so hopefully this will shed a liitle more light.

Starting with my mother, Violet Mary Skelly, (nee Doyle). My mother was born Birkenhead on 10th July 10, 1923 and in London in on May 8th, 1948 of pulmonary tuberculosis. From her marriage to Dennis Victor Skelly in 1946, she bore my half-brother Gerald, (Gerry) who was born 1940's. Gerry is just 3 days short of being two years younger than I, my birthday being 1940's.

As mention in the my original and revised post after my mother died, my Nan adopted me in 1948, by which time she was calling herself Salome Mary, but I recall was also known as "Pat".

Nan died in an old folk's home  in Croydon in 1994. As someone has also pointed out, details on death certificates may not be exact, so I would be willing to accept that Nan's age may not have been recorded accurately, particularly in view of the fact that she could be prone to embellising to truth at times, for example, by claiming that she was born on St Patrick's day, at least to extent that that was the day she celebrated her birthday!

Moving on to my Uncle Oliver, who was born in 1930 and died of Scarlet Fever in Drogheda in 1933, there is little more that I can add, other than being certain that he was for sure my grandmother's son.

I did after many years of lost contact manage to trace my mother's sister, i.e. my aunt who was again born in Drogheda in 1927 and named Veronica Mary Doyle. Sadly, I only had one brief opportunity to meet up with my aunt before she died in 2005/2006. A few more meetings would with her would have filled in the huge gaps in what I know about my ancestry.

There was also a query raised as to where my grandmother was in 1939, which of course was the year in which the 1939 Register was compiled shortly after the outbreak of World War II. Although I grew up with the understanding that she spent the war years in London, I guess I would need to conduct some research of the register in order to see if I could trace the household(s) where my Nan, Mother and aunt Veronica (who I always knew as Auntie Joyce - I know, don't ask!) might have lived.

From the newspaper items in some of the resplies to my post, it does seem that there could be some serious shortcomings in my grandfathers's abilities as a grandparent, but not having lived through those times I would not wish to be too hasty to judge.

For the moment, I'm just keen to get on record some facts about the characters that went into making me, and in turn my children and grandchildren, for whom, by the way, there has been no reason for me to appear the dock.

Right, I think that's it for now. If, I have left any of the queries unanswered, then do please get back. I've penned this rather hasty response just to acknowledge as quickly as possible and let you know how much I appreciate your interest and efforts in helping me.

P.S. Just noted that while writing a few more posts came through, so was advised to read through before sending this off, which I have done. I will take on board advice to read and digest all posts in order to provide a more structured picture. I also appreciate advice regarding potential sensitivity of what might emerge from my research.

Before signing off, there was one other household that looked promising in terms of my grandmother's parentage, which was in Claremorris, County Mayo. That would have still left my great grandfather being a farmer by the name of John Plunkett who married Marget Jordan (?Margret?) on 25th February 1894. The issue with that match, is that Mayo is far away from Louth or Meath, which has left me focusing on a place closer to east coast of Ireland rather than the west.
But, now I fear at muddying the waters even further. And there was me thinking that astro-physics, cosmology, and dark-matter were easy to research.

Best regards,

Danny

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 23 September 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
From jbhall  Gravestone inscriptions

Copyright image removed
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 23 September 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
Saw the above image before it was removed but it wasn't as inclusive as this online list-
http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/dore_-_finigan.htm

Still following up a few leads...
Wonder if Oliver George Doyle is Oliver G. 1930-1933
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 23 September 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
Wee Oliver died 9 Jan.1933 of scarlet fever in hospital but home address was Mell which fits with the newspaper articles posted earlier-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1933/04866/4315685.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!