Author Topic: Vanishing Illings.  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
Re: Vanishing Illings.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 September 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
Quite possible. I've searched high and low. Obviously Beatrice was about 6 months pregnant at the time.
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 September 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
I can't find them on the 1891 Census but Beatrice Ellen Illing married Joseph Henry S Ellis 1900 Camberwell. They are living in Chelsea on the 1911 with both girls. Joseph was born 1885 Anerley he was a Butchers Assistant.

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 September 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ellenmai. Yes, I had them in 1901. The story is quite tragic. Joseph and Beatrice had two more children, in 1901 and 1909. Beatrice then died in 1910 (I suspect from complications following childbirth) and then Joseph died in 1913. I have managed to trace three of the four children but not the youngest child, Arthur Henry Ellis. (I have just found Edith's death. She never married.)
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 September 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
Are you sure you have the right Beatrice who you say died 1910, as she is on the 1911 Census?

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 September 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
Have you got the full date of birth for Arthur Henry Ellis ? There is a birth in Wandsworth 1908 mother Gough

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 September 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Have you got the Probate information for George ? If not he died 22/11/1896, Address 33 Alma Road, Bermondsey. Probate to Wife Beatrice Ellen Illing Widow, Effects £136 10s.

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 September 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have the right Beatrice. Joseph Ellis is a widower in 1911. He is living at 20 Stella Road, Tooting.

Thanks for the probate. I had missed that. My mistake, for Arthur Henry's year of birth. I haven't got his full date of birth. I was hoping to find that on the 1939 register. It might be time to order another birth certificate !
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 September 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
My apologise Heatha I got the 1901 & 1911 Census muddled.
Have you got Beatrice Ellen's burial record? If not she was buried 11/1/1910 at All Saints Tooting, Home address 14 Pembridge Square.

Possible matches for Arthur Henry Ellis is a death in 1979 Eastbourne, birth date 26/9/1908 as the birth index indicates he was born in the 4th Quarter of 1908 it could be him.There is a Arthur Henry Ellis on the 1939 Register living in Wandsworth but the DOB is 26/9/1907 so also a possible as only one year out so could be a mistake.

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the delay in replying. I needed to put in some time on this one !

Yes, thank you, I have Beatrice Ellen's burial.

The Arthur Henry Ellis you have found is, I think, the other Arthur Henry Ellis, whose birth was registered in the first quarter of 1908 in Wandsworth. He is with a who group of other Ellis family members - Albert E Ellis, widower, born 7th February 1867. I have traced Albert and he did have a sister Ada (above him on the page at the same address) but not a brother Joseph. Albert had four children - Edwin, Beatrice, Dora and Ena. So this Arthur Henry is not Ada's (single) or Arthur's. Of the 8 children in Albert's generation, 3 (including Ada) were unmarried in 1911, so they are ruled out. The maiden name of the other Arthur Henry is Wheeler so his parents, we can assume, were married, which rules out the two other girls, leaving Thomas and Arthur. Ada and Albert's brother, Arthur Henry married Violet Margaret Wheeler in 1907 and had a son Arthur Henry in 1907/1908. I think this is the one you have found in 1939. (I have found him in 1911 at 64 Leathwaite Road, Battersea.

Now the question is, who is the Arthur Henry who died in Eastbourne ?

I wonder if the Arthur Henry Ellis who I am looking for was in a workhouse in 1911 or if one of Joseph Ellis's family took him in ? Maybe I will never know.
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides