Author Topic: Queens Hotel, Upper Norwood  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Queens Hotel, Upper Norwood
« on: Sunday 23 September 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out just how many hotels Arthur Flatman (born c1848) owned in London in the late 1800's/early 1900s. To date I have:
Norfolk Hotel, Clifton Hotel (Welbeck Street), the Park Gate Hotel (Stanhope Terrace, Hyde Park), the Tudor Hotel (Oxford Street) .  In 1898 an advert in the St James Gazette 14 September states that he is also the Manager of the Alexandra Hotel, Hyde Park Corner.

Have just found something that suggests he or his son Arthur FC also had something to do with the Queens Hotel, Upper Norwood.  Arthur may also have rented out various apartments as well as owning hotels. A vague link possibly to the Royal Victoria Hotel, St Leonards on Sea.

Can anyone confirm his link to the Queens, the Royal Victoria or any other hotel & perhaps enlighten me on any other business interests this man had - he is looking increasingly like London's version of a certain American President ;D

Many thanks
K

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Queens Hotel, Upper Norwood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
The London Daily News - Saturday 18 March 1905 has an advert stating that the Queens Hotel, Upper Norwood was under entirely new management.
The Norwood News - Saturday 05 March 1910 has an article on the Queens Hotel, Upper Norwood which states the hotel was owned by the Law Guarantee Society, and the licence was held by a Miss Waite.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan
K

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 18 03:19 BST (UK) »
Surrey and/or London street directories 1867-1911 list it as "The Queen's Hotel Co Lim". Simply as "The Queen's Hotel" from 1913, but they could just be saving ink. Rarely are managers' names given, but it does mean it was registered and directors/owners should be named. TNA has:

Board of Trade: Companies Registration Office: Files of Dissolved Companies. Company No: 1877; Queen's Hotel Company (Upper Norwood) Ltd. Incorporated in 1860. Dissolved before 1916.
    Held by:    The National Archives - Board of Trade and successors
    Date:    1860 - 1916
    Reference:    BT 31/480/1877
    Subjects:   Trade and commerce

I thought came across an index of directors from such documents recently on one fo the paid sites but now of course I can't find it. Maybe someone knows.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
There's an ad in the St James's Gazette of 12 July 1899 for the Tudor Hotel in Oxford Street, manager Arthur FC Flatman. The next ad below is for the Queens Hotel in Upper Norwood and this juxtaposition is possibly the source of your " something that suggests". But there is no obvious connection. An ad for the Nofolk Hotel  (manager Arthur Flatman) appears in the same column.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 September 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun - that explains it.

K

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 September 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
There's an ad in the St James's Gazette of 12 July 1899 for the Tudor Hotel in Oxford Street, manager Arthur FC Flatman. The next ad below is for the Queens Hotel in Upper Norwood and this juxtaposition is possibly the source of your " something that suggests". But there is no obvious connection. An ad for the Nofolk Hotel  (manager Arthur Flatman) appears in the same column.

I think a similar thing may have happened with the Leonard-on-Sea connection.
smith : leage : emerson : anderton : hart : boyce : baker : weaver :
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 September 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I think the manager was his son Frederick F C.

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 September 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I think the manager was his son Frederick F C.

Keziah - which one? Upper Norwood or Leonard on Sea? Or both?

Have you located a will for him which might give more info on the properties?
smith : leage : emerson : anderton : hart : boyce : baker : weaver :
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse