Author Topic: Death Record for James BLANCH(E) Time Frame: 1797 to 1799  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Record for James BLANCH(E) Time Frame: 1797 to 1799
« on: Sunday 23 September 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Need assistance with finding the death record for James Blanch(e).  Time frame: 1797-1799. 

Can someone provide me some clues/suggestions where to check for his death record?

Here is what I know about James BLANCHE.

James BLANCHE married Nancy Ann BROWN(E) on 12 November 1776 in Saint Mary Parish, Middlesex county, Islington borough.  It was listed he was a member of the parish.

His occupation was a HOSIER and their home was at 417 Strand, 1777 to 1784.

James' wife, Nancy Ann, has a brother, John Browne.  In John Browne's will, dated 8 June 1799, it listed his sister Nancy/Ann Blanche as a widow.  In Nancy Ann's father's will, dated 22 February 1797, Nancy/Ann was not listed as a widow.

In the London Gazette, dated 11 June 1880, there is a legal notice for Frances Swaile Fitzgerald, James and Nancy/Ann's 7th child, and it lists that her parents resided in Perth in Scotland where when Nancy/Ann Blanch became a widow, was living in and sometime before 1807, she resided in Lambeth-walk, Surrey and died in Surrey shortly before November 1827.

Why James and Nancy/Ann moved to Perth - I believe their daughter, Catherine, and Catherine's husband Lieutenant Henry HANSON were stationed in Perth and the Hanson's had twins, Mary and Henry HANSON, born 29 March 1806 and Mary was baptised 16 April 1806;  could not locate a baptism for twin brother, Henry. 

At St. Martin-in-the-Fields parish James and Nancy/Ann baptised their children:

1)  Nancy Blanche, born 4 Sep 1777, buried there 16 Oct 1777

2)  James Blanche, born 4 Sep 1778 (yes, same day only a year apart);  died before Aug 1838; wife unknown;  daughter Fanny Blanche

3)  Henry Blanche, born 3 Jan 1800; buried there 17 Oct 1780

4)  Catherine Blanche, born 13 Feb 1781, died 16 May 1832; married Henry Hanson and have 11 children

5)  Maria Blanche, born 21 Aug 1783; no additional data

6)  William Henry, born 6 Aug 1785; no additional data

At Saint James Parish, Westminster

7) Frances Swaile Blanche, born 28 Aug 1787; died March 1838; married Thomas Fitzgerald and have 3 children

8 )  John Blanche, born 6 Sep 1789; no addition data

9)  Charles Blanche, born 17 Sep 1782; no additional data

At Saint Dunstan-in-the-East, London

10) Hannah Blanche, born 19 Jun 1794;  Christening 10 September 1800; married William Thomas Woodham and have 3 children. 

Hannah's christening listed  Jas and Nancy BLANCH as her parents but Nancy/Ann was a widow in 1799 - would the record indicate the father as deceased?  I have not actually seen the baptism record, just the digital details.

I am a direct line descendant from James Blanch(e) and Nancy/Ann Browne and this is one of my brick walls.

Any assistance on what avenues to review to find James' death details will be greatly appreciated.

Rob van Haastert

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Death Record for James BLANCH(E) Time Frame: 1797 to 1799
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Do you have burial details for his wife who you say died in Surrey in 1827.  Sorry if I have missed the information somewhere but your post is very long and I am easily confused  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99,

Here are the burial details for Ann Blanch:

Ann Blanch in the London, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-2003

Name:   Ann Blanch
Record Type:   Burial
Birth Date:   abt 1752
Death Date:   abt 1827
Burial Date:   12 Jun 1827
Burial Place:   St Mary, Lambeth, Lambeth, England

Page 81; Number 647
--
Ann Blanch's Will:

Transcript
Blanch (née Browne), Ann (Nancy) (1753 – 1827) In the Name of God Amen I Ann Blanch being of sound Mind tho weak in Body do make this my last Will and Testament I give my friend Edward Hart Gent of Mornford Place Newington all the property I now have or may hereafter become possessed of In Trust to be paid as I hall hereinafter name To my son James Blanch Twenty pounds to be paid as soon as it can be received To my daughter Hannah Woodham all the rest to be placed in the funds and for her to receive the Interest of it for her Life Subject to no Control of her present husband nor any other that she may hereafter have and that her Receipt and has duly shall be she may discharge to my Trustee for the payment of the said Interest and I give to the said Hannah Woodham all my Clothes Linen and Furniture To my other children and Grandchildren I give my Love and Prayers for their Health and Prosperity Signed and Sealed in person of me Ann Blanch (LS) Witnessed by James Fowle, Elizabeth Fowle On the 10th November 1827

Admon (with the Will annexed) of the Goods Chattels & Credits of Ann Blanch late of Lambeth walk in the Parish of St. Mary Lambeth in the County of Surrey Widow deceased was granted to Hannah Woodham (Wife of William Thomas Woodham) the daughter and Residuary Legatee named in the said Will having been first sworn duly to administer Edward Hart the Executor according to the Tenets of the said Will having first renounced the probate and Executor thereof as by Arts of Court appear

Detail  Ann (Nancy) Blanch (nee Browne) Will
Title   Blanch Wills
Publisher  Find My Past
Publisher Date   10 Nov 1827
==

Rob

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
It just jumped out to me that if Ann Blanch signed her will on 10 November 1827, how can the record be right with a burial date of 12 June 1827?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
Are you getting the information from the will or the Will register.  The latter will probably be the date of probate not the date it was signed

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99,

The transcript is from England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858;  PROB 11:  Will Registers, 1826-1828, Piece 1732: Hober, Quire Numbers 601-650 (1827).

Looking at the actual document, the transcription is deceiving.  The Admon is dated 10 Nov 1827 which is also the Probate date.  There is no date when Ann Blanche signed her will. 

The transcription should read,

Blanch (née Browne), Ann (Nancy) (1753 – 1827) In the Name of God Amen I Ann Blanch being of sound Mind tho weak in Body do make this my last Will and Testament I give my friend Edward Hart Gent of Mornford Place Newington all the property I now have or may hereafter become possessed of In Trust to be paid as I hall hereinafter name To my son James Blanch Twenty pounds to be paid as soon as it can be received To my daughter Hannah Woodham all the rest to be placed in the funds and for her to receive the Interest of it for her Life Subject to no Control of her present husband nor any other that she may hereafter have and that her Receipt and has duly shall be she may discharge to my Trustee for the payment of the said Interest and I give to the said Hannah Woodham all my Clothes Linen and Furniture To my other children and Grandchildren I give my Love and Prayers for their Health and Prosperity Signed and Sealed in person of me Ann Blanch (LS) Witnessed by James Fowle, Elizabeth Fowle

On the 10th November 1827 Admon (with the Will annexed) of the Goods Chattels & Credits of Ann Blanch late of Lambeth walk in the Parish of St. Mary Lambeth in the County of Surrey Widow deceased was granted to Hannah Woodham (Wife of William Thomas Woodham) the daughter and Residuary Legatee named in the said Will having been first sworn duly to administer Edward Hart the Executor according to the Tenets of the said Will having first renounced the probate and Executor thereof as by Arts of Court appear

Nancy/Ann's daughter, Frances S. (Blanch) Fitzgerald, and their family was in Lambeth, Surrey. as 3 Fitzgerald children were baptised on 13 December 1818 at St. Marys, Lambeth, Surrey.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
That is the probate entry dated 10th November not the date that the will was signed

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 02:03 BST (UK) »
Question on 1797 verbiage used to reference children in wills.

In the will of James Blanche's father-in-law, Henry Brown(e), Henry does not reference his daughter Nancy like his other daughters.  Other daughters are referenced "Catherine Wilson, wife of Richard Wilson of London" and "Frances Witted, the wife of John Witted of London."  Nancy is just referenced as "my daughter Nancy Blanch."

Could this difference in how Nancy is referenced be due she was already a widow? 

Trying to narrow James Blanch(e)'s timeline for possible death.  His last daughter, Hannah was born 19 June 1794, so James was alive in the last week in September 1793.

Nancy Blanch(e), nee Brown(e), was listed as a widow in her brother John's will dated 8 June 1799.

Your explanation will help focus the search for the right James Blanch(e).

Thank you.
In the Name of God Amen, I Henry Brown of Wigton in the County of Cumberland being Weak in Body but of sound and desposing Mind Memory and understanding praised be god for the same do make publish and did are this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following.  First I command my Soul into the Hands of the Almighty God my Creator hoping for a Remission of all my sins by the Merits and Mediation of my Saviour Jesus Christ and my Body I commits to the Earth to be decently interned at the discretion of my Executors hereinafter named and as to all my Worldly Estate I give and bequeath the same as follows.  I will give a bequeath to my Dothter Nancy Blanch the sum of Fifty Pounds to be paid by my Executor onto whom my said Dothor Nancy Blanch shall duely authorize order or appoints to receive the sum likewise will and bequeath and lieve to my son William Brown the sum of Fifty pounds to be paid by my Executor or to whom he duly authorize or appointment to receive the same and I William and bequeath to my Dothers Catherine Wilson the wife of Richard Wilson of London Fifty Pounds to be be paid by my Executor and to whom she duly authorize or appoint and receive the sum. I also lieve and bequeath to my Dother Frances Witted the wife of John Witted of London the sum of Fifty Pounds to be paid by my Executors to my said Dother Frances Witted on to whom she shall duely authorize order or appoint to receive the sum.  I will lieve and bequeath to my grandson John Witted the sum of Ten pounds to be paid by my Executor a sum to be received at the age of Twenty one years and lastly as to all the rest remainder and residue of my Estate whats over and where over I hereby give and bequeath this arrangement to my son John Brown his Executors administrators and assigns for his and their own use and benefit absolutely and I do hereby make ordain constitute and appoint my said son John Brown sole executor of this my last will and testament revoking any and former Testaments by me at anytime heretofore made in witness wherefore I have to this my last will and testament  [unrecognizable word] subscribed my hand and seal this twenty second day of February one thousand seven hundred and ninety seven.  Henry Brown (LS) Signed sealed published and declared by the Testament Henry Brown as his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who at his request in his presence and the presence of each other have subscribed our Names as Witness our hands John Matthews, Mark Stoddard and Hannah Tiffin.  Proved May 20, 1797