Author Topic: Birthday Gift DNA Test - Help Choosing DNA Test  (Read 652 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Birthday Gift DNA Test - Help Choosing DNA Test
« on: Monday 24 September 18 03:54 BST (UK) »
A landmark for me today!! I've just mailed my DNA KIT!! 👍👍 woohoo! After a long time considering purchase of an Ancestry DNA test, I was surprised to be given a kit from my son and his family for my birthday in July!  I finally did the test at the weekend with my son standing by to make sure I was doing it correctly (not nearly as complicated as I thought it would be though) . ;D

I was surprised to see the mailing address was in Dublin!  They'd purchased the kit from Ancestry Australia, and naturally I thought it would go back to them?? 

Anyone think of a reason why it would go back to Ireland and not Australia!  Would it be because of my Irish paternal line going way back into Ireland - but on second thoughts, how would Ancestry know that I had Irish Roots??  Would it be on the order form - my son knows that we have the Irish ancestors going back to Dublin??  All a bit of a mystery to me, (but I'm darn sure I'm going to be even more mystified  ??? ??? when I get the results back LOL  ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Help Choosing DNA Test
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 18 05:10 BST (UK) »
Presumably Dublin will be where the "test centre" is.  :)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Ruskie!.🌺🌺
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 18 08:05 BST (UK) »
The test centre is in USA.

My test, from England, was sent to Ireland, a sort of holding address for them to send in bulk to USA for testing.

I am surprised that yours was sent from Australia to Ireland, would have thought if anything that there would be a holding area that side of the world.

Must be why the exorbitant extra charge is made for posting!!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
The test centre is in USA.

My test, from England, was sent to Ireland, a sort of holding address for them to send in bulk to USA for testing.

I am surprised that yours was sent from Australia to Ireland, would have thought if anything that there would be a holding area that side of the world.

Must be why the exorbitant extra charge is made for posting!!

Regards Margaret

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm in NZ, and it was sent from here to Dublin!  Postage free, but of course the postage costs may well have been included in the original purchase price, which was paid for by my son! Thanks for your insight!

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Gift DNA Test - Help Choosing DNA Test
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 September 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Canadian test also go to Ireland. I suspect that it is a second testing lab.