Author Topic: Frederick T Munton of Over, Winsford  (Read 923 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Frederick T Munton of Over, Winsford
« on: Monday 24 September 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
Frederick Thomas Munton was cousin to Harriett Ladner in another of my postings.

He moved to Over, Winsford from Derby, born c.1869. I have him listed in the 1871 and 1881 Censuses.

In 1903, he joined the Freemasons, listed as an Analytical Chemist, while boarding at Oak House Farm. Then he marries Constance Stelfox in 1909, before they purchase Rosslyn, Swanlow Lane, Winsford which is listed in the 1911 Census.
He was an Analytical Chemist with Salt Union Ltd.
Frederick Thomas Munton died 18 April 1936 at Westminster Hospital, but FreeBMB says registered Manchester S. Of Rosslyn, Winsford.
Constance Moore Munton (Stelfox) died 27 June 1950 at 291 Blackpool Old Road, Poulton Lancashire. Of Rosslyn, Winsford. (It suggestes living elsewhere but still owned Rosslyn)

Any information relating to Frederick Munton?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick T Munton of Over, Winsford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
Presumably you have his birth and parentage, to know that he is a cousin of Harriet
You have his marriage, have him in censuses, have his death, have a few other snippets like his Freemason connection

What else are you hoping to find?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
No doubt they were cousins. I found him from Harriett Ladner who taught in London along with Mary E Murton and Anne M Munton. Harriet was born in 1859 at Hampton Court Mews, father was a Police Officer at the time. He was born near Penzance and married Mary Ann Munton in 1853; registered Kingston. The older brother of Harriett was James W Ladner, who became headmaster in London, but moved to Ruan Minor, Cornwall, I still believe teaching in 1916. At different times they all shared houses. That is the link I have been researching, the families, where they started and why they ended up where they did.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
It may be a long shot, but when did Fredrick T Munton move to Winsford.
I would also like to know more about his work.
My grandfather worked at Salt Union Ltd, but was a generation younger, so do not imagine a link.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
Frederick Thomas Munton was cousin to Harriett Ladner in another of my postings.

He moved to Over, Winsford from Derby, born c.1869. I have him listed in the 1871 and 1881 Censuses.

Frederick Thomas Munton died 18 April 1936 at Westminster Hospital, but FreeBMB says registered Manchester S. Of Rosslyn, Winsford.

Any information relating to Frederick Munton?

According to probate records Frederick Thomas died 5 Jan 1936

Probate Calendar
Frederick Thomas Munton of Rosslyn Swanton Lane Winsford Cheshire died 5 Jan 1936 at the Royal Infirmary Manchester
Probate London 4 may to Constance Moore Munton, widow
Effects £4187 8s 2d

Death reg
Frederick Thomas Munton age 67 Mar qtr 1936 S Manchester Reg district Lancs
8d 265

as he died in Manchester Hospital his death would be registered in the district he died in not the district he lived in -so the freeBMD reg would be correct which would also fit with the date given at probate
If he had died 18 April 1936 as you posted then his death would not have been registered until Jun qtr

Hope this helps

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 September 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
I saw his probate and copied the first part correctly, then must have taken the second part from a different Munton, which mentioned London. No wonder it did not make sense. I am new to family history and struggle with computer screens over a long period. Thanks.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:06 BST (UK) »
a little more info
Frederick Thomas Munton
date of birth 5 Jun 1868
1879 admiission Derby British School Orchard St School (Later Lancaster Secondary Modern Derby Mixed)
Father James Munton

Birth reg
Frederick T MuntonJun qtr 1868 Derby 7b 423

1901 census
Oakhouse? Farm Swanton Lane Winsford Cheshire
Geo J Dooley Head M 32 Farmer Over
Lydia wife 35 Whitegate
Hannah daughter 2
Frederick T Munton Boarder single 32 Analytical Cemist Derby
RG13 3343 113 11

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 September 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I had all apart from the school.
I work in the library and take long-hand notes, hence mistakes happen. I see no point in joining Anc etc, as my only interest was Harriett Landner but that quickly grew to the Ladner/Munton connection and their link to Rosslyn, Over, Winsford.
There are other posts explaining, but it regards a postcard sent by Harriett Ladner's brother from Ruan Minor, Cornwall. Posted to Harriett Ladner at Rosslyn.

Oak House Farm, now demolished was off Swanlow Lane. I was born and raised on Swanlow Lane in Over, Winsford. It has changed so much since I left 15 years ago. I now live in South Wales. I am a painter (artistic), that is my love, not being a family historian. The postcard was a hand-painted watercolour of Church Cove, The Lizard, Cornwall, painted by Harriett's brother. I now visit the cove to paint, so wanted to explore the background, simply to establish a connection, which has grown. But it has been interesting. I am not looking to go back through the generations, they are not my family. My great-aunt Jane gave me the postcard in the 1970s. In 1929 she is listed on the electoral register as living at Rosslyn along with Harriett Ladner. I assume it was a caring role as she was not there the year before. In 1930, probate says: Munton Anne Maria of Rosslyn Winsford Cheshire spinster died 3 December 1930. But in 1929, she was not on the electoral register. Probate London 16 April to John Eric Ladner Solicitor. John Eric Ladner was Harriett's nephew. I cannot find probate for Mary E Munton; Age 60; Jul-Sep 1923; Northwich; Vol 8a Page 254, though assume she also lived at Rosslyn.