Author Topic: Questions re Gedmatch  (Read 1888 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Questions re Gedmatch
« on: Monday 24 September 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
I did my Ancestry DNA test some months ago and feel as though I'm pretty au fait with it all so far. I've found lots of connections and the best finds were two 'natural' fathers of my great grandparent generation where there were no other clues to go on - and another further back which I'm pretty sure of but not certain.

So now I've been looking at Gedmatch. I've just watched a 40 minute YouTube video about it. I followed it okay on how to downlaod my DNA file from Ancestry and upload it to Gedmatch, so that was helpful. I also understood the initial info you get. It lost me about half way through when it became too technical for my poor brain!

What I don't see is what you get from it. Apart from access to the results of people who have tested with companies other than Ancestry (don't most people test with Ancestry - or have I got that wrong?) what else is going to give you more or better matches? Is that where it becomes too technical for a non-scientist to deal with? I mean, I'm quite happy to do it as its free but what am I likely to get out of it for my efforts?

Another DNA question, if I may:- if I can persuade one of my 3 brothers to take the test, would it help my genealogy quest, given the addition of the Y chromosome? Is THIS where gedmatch comes in?

As you can no doubt tell, I'm a bit confused by it all!!

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Questions re Gedmatch
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
 Jill, the single best thing about Gedmatch is that you will be able to additionally compare Your ancestry DNA test results with people who have had their DNA tested by other companies. They also have a very good chromosome Browser which allows you to further investigate the data that you get about potential matches.

Martin

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Martin.

I was just wondering if many people actually use the other 2 main companies? What's your experience?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
I too get confused by gedmatch, however it did confirm that I have blue eyes!
I don't know whether I would be able to get back into that bit though.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
As I get regular new relations on 23andMe I would say there were plenty using them. I am also on GEDmatch.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 September 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
Jill, I used MyHeritage.  It confirmed that I was definitely related to two previously unknown cousins who tracked me down via my own website three years ago.  They both had used Ancestry.

Martin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 September 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
I uploaded to Gedmatch, had a bit of a look around, backed out slowly and closed the door.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
I tested with Ancestry, and then uploaded my data to Gedmatch, My heritage and FTDna. I've found many matches on Ancestry that support my paper research, although there are many with no trees. I've had excellent replies from matches on Gedmatch as one assumes that anyone who uploads there will  certainly be interested in family history (not all Ancestry matches are of course). I've had very poor response from My Heritage matches, despite finding one or two close matches for whom I could help with information on their families,
Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
I think GEDmatch has been in existence for a number of years, before anc began offering DNA tests I believe.  The kit ref will give you an indication of the different DNA companies.  Ancestry may give the impression they have the market sewn up but it wasn't always the case.  And GEDmatch is a free platform where people who tested in the early days with other companies who have small databases can have their DNA compared with more recent testees (is that a word?).

I would urge everyone who has taken an autosomal DNA test to upload their results to GEDmatch.  The rest of the world isn't on ancestry regardless of what their marketing would have you believe.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON