Author Topic: Confused by Albert Tolhurst  (Read 916 times)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confused by Albert Tolhurst
« on: Tuesday 25 September 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Been researching absent voters for Scissett and I have a Albert Henry Tolhurst. I have found him born in 1892 Kent and he married Ada Marritta Hunt 1913 Scissett and he died 1960.
You would think very straight forward but a WW1 website as him being killed 1915.
I have found the army records for the Albert Henry Tolhurst I am looking for. He is registered as just Albert Tolhurst, Private, 3/3087, York & Lancaster Regiment, he was made Lance Corporal but he was reverted back to Private.
The other Albert Henry Tolhurst was said to have been born 1892 and he was a Private, 11108, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, also a Lance Corporal in some records. The CWGC have a A. H. Tolhurst died 18 April 1915 and his medal card as him reported dead.
The problem is I cannot find another Albert Henry or Albert H. Tolhurst to rule him out so are these two Albert Henry Tolhurst's the same person?

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by Albert Tolhurst
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
The KOYLI 11108 Albert Henry, died 18 Apr 1915 had a father Albert J (Effects Register), born in Faversham, joined up in Wakefield. An 1892 birth is regieterd in Faversham

The York and Lancaster man with wife Ada who survived the war was also born in 1892.  He is the 3/3087 man.

These two are different men I'd suggest.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD

The other Albert Henry Tolhurst that married Ada was born Faversham 1892 and his father was Albert Tolhurst and he was living in Skelmanthorpe at the time of the war which is near Wakefield.

I would say they are different men but I cannot find another Albert Henry Tolhurst.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Recapping.  3087 Albert Henry York and Lancaster has a complete record 1914-1919 with his marriage to Ada in Scisset and medal card with supporting dates.

11108 Albert Henry KOYLI has a medal card and CWGC entry, service from 1914 to death in 1915.  Effects register has father's name Albert J.  Soldiers Died has birth and joining details as for 3087. 

Proposal is that 11108's record has somehow subsumed elements of 3087.

Do the family details for 3087 cross check with other, non-military, evidence?  If so I would suggest accepting him as yours and ignore the screw up that intertwined the two records- or have I muissed something?

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
This is a real shame as 11108 obviously existed but appears untraceable other than his MIC & headstone.
This man was unmarried as his gratuity went to his father rather than wife & he has a different entry date.
Being buried in Larch Wood makes sense as the 2/KOYLI were at Hill 60. They assaulted the hill following the mine explosions.
It's possible he was registered without the middle name. It's also possible your man wasn't & Albert H is the one that died.
Although your man married Elsie what info do you have that his father was also Albert?
Does the AV list mention a Regt?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
The KOYLI 11108 Albert Henry, died 18 Apr 1915 had a father Albert J (Effects Register),
MaxD

It actually says 'Albert T R' and 'Albert T' and this appears to be the father of 3087 who says he was born 1892 in Faversham.  When he married Ada he named his father as Albert TOLHURST, Tinker.

Debra  :)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

MaxD your summery is correct but I would like to find the other one, just so I can put a correct name to him.

On further research the Albert Henry Tolhurst that married Ada and as Army records, his father was Albert Thomas Robert Tolhurst. The 1939 register as Albert H. Tolhurst married to Ada and born 1 January 1892.

The CWGC as the other Albert Henry as just A. H. Tolhurst, so is he Albert Henry Tolhurst.

It looks like another morning of looking.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
11108 Tolhurst KOYLI is:
A H on CWGC
Albert Henry in Soldiers Died in the Great War
Albert H on his medal card
Albert Henry on the medal roll
Albert Henry in the Effects register

There are no other records associated with this man except the confusing carrying across of some of 3087's particulars.

I find no other Albert Henry Tolhursts

Good luck.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
Personally I would be looking at his older brother Charles Norman George TOLHURST.  Attested with the Bedfordshire regiment in 1906, eight military convictions 1906-1910, civil conviction in Bermuda in 1910 (9 months for burglary), West Kent sessions 1911 (12 months for shopbreaking), Kent quarter sessions 1912 (18 months for shopbreaking), released from prison 18 April 1914.

For Albert T R TOLHURST to receive a war gratuity for his dead son he must have been named somewhere in 11108's records.  You can pay £10 and download an image of his will to see if it sheds any light.  Hopefully it will have an original signature for the mysterious 11108.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#soldiers

Example of Charles' signature below

Debra  :)