Author Topic: Boer War involvement?  (Read 343 times)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boer War involvement?
« on: Tuesday 25 September 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have a relative who in 1895 was recorded on his marriage cert as 'Private, 84 Royal Artillery.' In 1899 he was in Aldershot and in 1900 he was recorded again as a 'driver' in the RA.

I wonder if anyone can tell me about the 84th RA? Where would he have signed up for it? What would he have done, where would he have gone? I know Aldershot was home of the british army, but why was he (and his wife and baby) there in 1899? I want to try and get a picture of his army life.
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War involvement?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
84 RA is almost certainly 84th Battery Royal Field Artillery.  A driver meant a driver of horses.  In 1895 they were stationed in Woolwich and in 1899 in Aldershot, leaving for South Africa towards the end of the year.  They were certainly in South Africa for the Boer War arriving on 11 Feb 1900.

The Royal Artillery was not "regional" in the sense that he could have joined up anywhere. Without his record we can't know when he joined or left.   Have you looked for his army records which may be surviving?  One would need his service dates to get an idea of where he was.  Post his name and other details if you wish.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD,

Thanks for the info. I find it very hard to understand this army stuff! His name was William Houghton and he was born in about 1873 although I have no idea where. He got married in Scotland on New Years Eve 1895 and is recorded here as a private in the 84th Royal Artillery. His son was born in Aldershot in January 1899. And then his daughter was born in Scotland in July 1900. I have no idea when he joined or when he left. I can't find him in the 1901 census (although his wife is recorded as 'wife of a soldier' so he's not dead. I can't find him in 1911 but I know his wife was a widow by 1923.
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Problem - can't find any identifiable service record.  Two William Houghtons served in South Africa, one in the 67th Battery and one in the 19th.  He could have changed batteries, not unusual but  neither were in Aldershot in 1899 before going to the war.
He could have remained in Aldershot when the 84th Battery went to war. 

Too many "could haves" I'm afraid.  Without his record we can't get much further forward.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia