Author Topic: Rare 1922-23 ROB ROY Movie Now on Youtube  (Read 1002 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Rare 1922-23 ROB ROY Movie Now on Youtube
« on: Wednesday 26 September 18 05:00 BST (UK) »

A couple of years ago while writing a book on my branch of the McGregors I stumbled across mention of an old Rob Roy film which I said in the book: “may be lost”. Well, if so, it is now found.

The British Film Institute National Archives has restored the film to 86 minutes of silent black and white glory, and have made it available on Youtube.

While much of the movie is just what you might expect of something made early last century, it is also an ambitious and remarkable rare gem, most notably for the on location filming in the Trossachs.

As I understand it, although the film may still be in copyright, it is classified as an “Orphan Work”. That is, the BFI National Archives, unable to find any true owner, would have applied to the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) to preserve and restore the film, and to make it publicly available.

There are three copies of the film on Youtube, the BFI copy and two from Spanish sources (the EUIPO is domiciled in Spain). BFI calls it a 1923 movie (release date), the others 1922 (production).

I think it is a must-see for anyone interested in Rob Roy or, indeed, for anyone interested in seeing how Rob Roy country looked almost 100 years ago.

Here is a link to the BFI version and a screen shot from the opening of the film. (I haven't watched it all yet; I wanted to shout if from the rooftops first. ;D ;D

Peter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-01FN4jWzzk

Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Rare 1922-23 ROB ROY Movie Now on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that McGroger!  I'll look forward to watching it at the weekend!!  Rain forecast!

Kind of you to share! 👍👍👍
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks from me too.

I will watch it later on. No McGregor connections in my ancestry but being Scots/Irish I am proud of my heritage. ;D

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
Remembered the connections when many years ago we visited Inverary Castle.
He was a bit of a maverick but remains a folk hero.
Some of the simple red and black tartan in a glass case purported to be his, and if my memory serves me correctly a targe and sword.
It was however 1964 so a long time ago.
Enjoy the film.
Thanks.
Viktoria.