Author Topic: Lewis Humphreys Jones in South Africa  (Read 1151 times)

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lewis Humphreys Jones in South Africa
« on: Wednesday 26 September 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Born in 1875 in Birmingham, England to Welsh parents, Lewis Humphreys Jones was at the family home at 19 Bradford Street, Birmingham in 1881 and 1891. I next see him in two passenger lists:

1) Arriving at Plymouth on 11 May 1916 on RMS Saxon having embarked from Cape Town. South Africa is his country of last permanent residence. Lewis Humphreys Jones is a mechanic aged 41 and is accompanied by - wife Danielira Fredericka Jones, 35; sons Alfred, 13; Lewis, 8, Stanley, 11 months and daughter Gladys, 11. (Ancestry)

2) Departing UK from London for Cape Town on 22 Jul 1916, the passenger list does not give full names, only Mr L H Jones, mechanic, 41, Mrs Jones, wife, 35 etc., but clearly the same family group (Findmypast).

The only South African record I have found for Lewis Humphreys Jones is a Transvaal Probate record dated 1933 which refers to the death of a Lewis Humphreys Jones age 24 - this is the son Lewis Jones, aged 8 in 1916. This document says father deceased, mother's name Danalira Fredrika Jacoba Jones (Fisher). Lewis was born at Premier Mine, he was a British national and was a millwright S.A.R. (South African Railways perhaps?). He was 24 years 10 months when he died on 28 Apr 1933 at Church Street West, Pretoria.

I have no previous experience of researching South African family history. Is it possible that BMD records are available for Lewis (senior), his wife and children?

One other relevant document on FamilySearch refers, in Afrikaans, to Lewis senior's wife. It appears to be the Probate record for her father Lowies Jeremias Cornelius Fisher and names his children including Danelina Frederica Jacoba Jones (nee Fisher b. 15 Jul 1880).

Many thanks in advance for any further information that can be given.

Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis Humphreys Jones in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 September 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of references in South Africa National Archives (Transvaal):

Some sort of military or police service in 1901/2?

EPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    SAC                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 117                                                                   
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE A352                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          RECORD OF CONDUCT AND SERVICE OF. LEWIS HUMPHREYS JONES. DISCHARGE   
           BY PURCHASE.                                                         
STARTING  19010219                                                             
ENDING    19021021             

What looks like a probate reference for Dannelina Jones in 1946:

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 3398/46                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          JONES, DANNELINA FREDERIKA JACOBA.                                   
STARTING  19460000                                                             
ENDING    19460000                                                             
REMARKS   PREDECEASED SPOUSE LEWIS HUMPHREYS JONES.   

http://www.national.archives.gov.za/naairs.htm
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 September 18 08:05 BST (UK) »
He's in the South Africa constabulary records on http://www.ancestors.co.za - dob 5 September 1976

There may be more references on that website but it is not currently responding

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
A couple more items on Ancestry - birth of Stanley Victor Jones at Cullinan Premier Mine on 15 March 1915; and a Transvaal estates death index reference  (67781) for Lewis Humphreys Jones in 1928.

The Boer War medal Roll for the South African Constabulary, Headquarters Depot, Reserve Division, ´A´ Division, has a L H Jones (A/352) discharged 21/10/02 which ties in with the NAAIRS discharge reference for Lewis Humphreys Jones.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 September 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
I was able to see more of the constabulary record: he was recruited at Westminster on 19 February 1901, and gave his address as N Wales. A fitter, speaks English and Welsh, can ride, shoot, and swim. NoK his father.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 September 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
A bit of an outline incl documents:

Lewis Humphreys Jones b 5-9-1876 England (son of John and Sarah), d 4-12-1928 Pretoria (52Y 3 m)
(Start of his estate file: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9P-S358-9?i=116&cc=2520237 )

X# abt 1906 Pretoria

Dannelina Frederika Jacoba Fis(c)her  b 15-07-1880 Pretoria , d 15-7-1946 Pretoria (d of Lewies Jeremias Cornelius Fisher & Martha Susanna Pretorius)
(Start of her estate file: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS37-SB8Y?i=60&cc=2520237 )
        Note: Previous to her marriage to Lewis, she had been married to Alfred Wightman Johnston.
(Her Fathers 1925 “sterfkennis” i.e. notification of death : https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSS4-HQBC-B?i=1184&cc=2520237 )

5 Children:
Alfred Hope Johnston/Jones b 17-11-1901, d before 2008 
His baptism: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9T43-WPR?i=240&cc=1468076
          Probably married to: Elsbeth Hedwig Auguste Bischoff (start of her 1969 estate: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSDZ-LS1Z-4?i=2857&cat=2144007 )
-
Gladys Muriel Johnston?/Jones b abt 1904
         X ?? Burn
-
Lewis Humphreys Jones b abt 1908, d 28-04-1933 Pretoria Transvaal
-
Stanley Victor Jones b 3-3-1915 Pretoria, d before 2008 
          X 13-1-1945 CP to < private >
(Marriage Cert: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GTWP-XXR?i=159&cc=1468076)
-
Owen Richard Jones b 14-5-1919 Pretoria, d 20-12-1969
(start of his estate file: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSXZ-7QFF?i=48&cat=2144007 )
          X to Pertronella Herculina Williams b 25-06-1924, d 02-11-2011 (estate with PRETORIA MASTERS OFFICE)

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 September 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you both ShaunJ and TreeSpirit for the useful information.

There are a couple of discrepancies with the details I already had - I have Lewis Humphreys Jones born 1875 rather than 1876, (GRO -  Dec qtr Birmingham 6d, 90 mmn Humphreys) and his mother was Jane Humphreys not Sarah. (His oldest sibling was Sarah Jane and his paternal grandmother was Sarah).
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk