Author Topic: 1929 Electoral Register same property two different entries  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1929 Electoral Register same property two different entries
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 September 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
The two Muntons who owned Rosslyn, did so from c.1909 to 1951 when Constance died, though may not have lived in it all of the time. All three Muntons lived there 1927 to 1930. Harriett Ladner their cousin joined them in 1929 the year she died. I cannot find Harriett Ladner on an electoral register between 1922 Stoke Newington when she was 63 and 1929 Winsford, Cheshire. I need to look again.

There is another Harriett Ladner in Cornwall, married to her brother, who is on the electoral register.

Re Harriet Ladner, cousin of the Munton family. She would have been eligible to vote in Parliamentary elections  1918-1927 only if she met the property qualification or had a husband who did. The Harriet Ladner in Cornwall would have met the eligibility criteria courtesy of her husband.
Cowban

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 September 18 23:51 BST (UK) »
Harriett Munton was on the electoral register in 1922 when living in Stoke Newington, London. There were two Ladner sisters and cousin Harriett Ladner, all spinsters and all teachers with LCC in London. They were all on the 1922 electoral register at different addresses.

In 1922, she was 63 and teaching. In moving, she may not have continued teaching, so her status could have changed. I can find no mention of her between 1922 and 1929. In searching, I did not specify any county, so there were many offering Harriett Ladner in Cornwall, but nothing more in London or Cheshire.

The interest is from a postcard I was given. It was sent from her brother in Cornwall, to Miss Ladner at Rosslyn as a Christmas card. The stamps, two George V green ½d, give a posting date between 1912 and 1923. That suggests she was at Rosslyn late 1922 or 1923.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:54 BST (UK) »
Harriett Munton was on the electoral register in 1922 when living in Stoke Newington, London. There were two Ladner sisters and cousin Harriett Ladner, all spinsters and all teachers with LCC in London. They were all on the 1922 electoral register at different addresses.

In 1922, she was 63 and teaching. In moving, she may not have continued teaching, so her status could have changed. I can find no mention of her between 1922 and 1929. In searching, I did not specify any county, so there were many offering Harriett Ladner in Cornwall, but nothing more in London or Cheshire.

The interest is from a postcard I was given. It was sent from her brother in Cornwall, to Miss Ladner at Rosslyn as a Christmas card. The stamps, two George V green ½d, give a posting date between 1912 and 1923. That suggests she was at Rosslyn late 1922 or 1923.

I'm confused with so many ladies named Harriet. Who was Harriet Munton?
 Btw I noticed I wrote Munford in my previous post. It was done in a hurry. I'd written another different post in reply to an earlier post but it there was a problem and it was lost.

As you say it's possible that Harriet's status may have changed when she moved and she lost her right to vote until the franchise was extended to all women over 21 in 1928. When she was teaching in Stoke Newington she might have been renting a property on her own account and qualified as a householder. When she moved in with her cousins at Rosslyn she ceased to be a householder and was disfranchised. Being a spinster with no property she became invisible. If I'd been a woman in her position I would have been seriously annoyed.  >:(
Cowban

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
... but maybe what we are seeing is the relic of those Divisions. They took the titles out but didn't reorder the entries because that is hard work type-setting etc. ...
On mature reflection (it happens  ;)  )  I withdraw that suggestion. It occurred to me later that just 3 or 4 pages was not going to be sufficient for a whole Division of that Ward. In fact, I can now see (he said hopefully) the difference between the two sets of Rosslyn addresses.

The 3 Muntons (2350-52) are in named houses in the "middle" of Swanlow Lane, between 19 and 21. The other 2 (2080/81) are in named houses under a "street name" of Swanlow - no "Lane" word. As "Swanlow" collates before "Swanlow Lane", the two in Swanlow come before all the ones in Swanlow Lane. That might suggest Harriet Ladner and Jane Ikin (2080/81) didn't successfully apply for their vote at the same time as the other three.

There is also a repeat at Rock Villa, and at Sandycroft / Sandicroft (assuming those two are the same place) - maybe others.