Author Topic: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 28 September 18 22:58 BST (UK) »
I will definitely let you know Gadget.  :)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!
« Reply #28 on: Friday 28 September 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
I will definitely let you know Gadget.  :)
Hi Ruskie, can you explain why you might want to close your account? Many people in the UK have taken a LivingDNA test so I am sure you will find some matches. It seems a good thing to support the (currently) as far as I know, only UK DNA testing company that is affiliated with findmypast, also a UK company that has a pretty good reputation.
  As far as I can see the only confusion (and actually only one or two complaints on eupedia) about this project derived from the fact some people were under the impression they would get a free ethnicity estimate in return - but I think that only ever applied to the paid for test, some info of which was included in press releases about the project. It actually wouldn't make sense for them to offer it for all these non England/Wales pure samples that they are seeking, as by definition, they don't yet have the data to give people a good enough estimate of their ethnic/regional breakdown outside of England and Wales.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 September 18 23:44 BST (UK) »
I admit that I have not studied the site in detail, but I can't even see where "matches" might be if there are any. Everything seems to direct me to sign up to Family Networks. I assumed I would need to do that before being offered any matches. I don't want to sign up to Family Networks, so it seems that Living DNA is not of any use to me, in which case I might as well close my account.  :)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 September 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
I admit that I have not studied the site in detail, but I can't even see where "matches" might be if there are any. Everything seems to direct me to sign up to Family Networks. I assumed I would need to do that before being offered any matches. I don't want to sign up to Family Networks, so it seems that Living DNA is not of any use to me, in which case I might as well close my account.  :)
It would be nice to have more info on Family Networks - i.e. does it involve making your family tree data public, giving the data entirely to LivingDNA to do what they wish to do with it (which is what basically happens if you upload a public tree to Ancestry), or can you keep the data private but still get relative matches and shared match hints as you can with Ancestry?

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 29 September 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
Couple of press releases related to the One Family project and Family Networks

https://www.livingdna.com/press-releases/290/dna-firm-aims-build-one-world-family-tree

"The One Family One World project will analyse people’s DNA results from around the world to enable them to see where they fit in the One World Family Tree, and show how everyone is related if you go back far enough in time.
Using proprietary technology, artificial intelligence and machine learning, the project will see tens of thousands of computers working together to identify distinctive and shared patterns in people’s DNA.   

Over time, this will allow Living DNA to produce the most detailed genetic map of the world, enabling people to explore both their modern ancestry and ancient migration patterns.
Living DNA is collaborating with some of the world’s top genealogists and scientists on the project including representatives from the University of York, Trinity College Dublin, Vanderbilt University, The University of Texas, University of Utah, University of Copenhagen, University of Iceland and the University of Sydney."

and very interestingly this was the specific new technology used in the 2015 well publicized study ‘Peopling of the British Isles’

"The cutting-edge technology being used to test hundreds of millions of genetic combinations worldwide in this project is based on academic research from US institutions and also builds on the same proprietary technology used in the landmark ‘Peopling of the British Isles’ study of 2015.  This allowed scientists to explore regional differences of DNA within a country for the first time, by analysing combinations of DNA from people with four grandparents born within 50 miles of each other. 

With an exclusive license of this technology, Living DNA is now applying an updated version of the same approach to countries around the world to produce the first fine-scale genetic map of the world – and in the process building up the One World Family Tree."

https://www.livingdna.com/press-releases/305/living-dna-preview-unique-new-family-networks-capability-rootstech-2018

"With Family Networks, we not only predict how users are related to direct matches, but we can also infer through DNA up to 13 generations back to connect matches with whom they share no DNA with today,” said Living DNA co-founder and Managing Director David Nicholson. “The technology behind Family Networks runs through millions of ways in which users in the network are related and automatically works out which genetic trees are possible. This new capability offers distinct benefits to a range of users, from avid genealogists to family history hobbyists, to adoptees and others searching for their family members. It will reduce the risk of human error and support the task of figuring out how each person in a user’s list are related to one another. We’re truly taking the guesswork out of DNA relationships.

Family Networks will go into private beta in Q2 and open beta in Q3 2018 where it will be available to all existing and new Living DNA users. The unique computation this feature provides gives customers- even those who upload from other DNA testing sites- a level of relationship prediction and specificity beyond anything currently on the market. Where competing offerings rely solely on time-consuming and often error-prone user research, Living DNA’s amazing power tools process users’ DNA to identify relatives and define relationships deeper back in time. Through this extremely rich experience, users can even learn how they’re related to people with whom they share no DNA today."

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 29 September 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
It looks like it involves no upload of family tree data by users at all. It will simply use new technology to more accurately predict potential family trees. Basically a more swish version of the Ancestry DNA match pages. You can see samples on the vimeo video or at the bottom of the press release
https://vimeo.com/257985553
https://www.livingdna.com/press-releases/305/living-dna-preview-unique-new-family-networks-capability-rootstech-2018

"Users need to only provide their gender and birthdate for Living DNA to build a family tree that shows where their matches fit into their family tree, with no need of Gedcom files or any other user input. This can be especially useful for adoptees and family searchers who are trying to locate long-lost family members but who don’t have any information on their biological family, Living DNA can translate their matches into a potential family tree, giving them a clearer place to start from."

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 29 September 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
It sounds almost too good to be true doesn't it?  ;D ;D

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 29 September 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
I fulfil the criteria for this and so do my parents, but I can't get the upload to work.

Its says it does not accept the format for the upload which is a download from ancestry dna

Any ideas?
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)