Author Topic: Charles DANIELS  (Read 437 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles DANIELS
« on: Thursday 27 September 18 23:57 BST (UK) »
I recently found a baptism record for Charles William DANIELS, which states that he was born 31 July 1845 in Tottenham, the son of Charles DANIELS, a brick maker, and Eliza DANIELS (née GAME). The baptism took place on the 8 Nov 1846 at All Hallows, Tottenham.

This was a major surprise, as I always thought that George Thomas DANIELS, my Great Grandfather, who was born in April 1847, was the couple's first born child. It is even more interesting as it shows that the couple were living together as far back as 1845, even though they never married until August 1848.

Despite being told by his baptism record that he was born in July 1845, I have been unable to find a birth certificate for Charles William.

Charles William did not live long. He died 04 April 1847 at Plough Yard, Tottenham. His death certificate, which I have, states that he was aged 1 yr 8 mths and the son of Charles Daniels, a labourer in the brickfields. The informant was Rebecca DANIELS, described as his grandmother of White Hart Yard, Tottenham.

Charles William is definitely a member of my family tree, as all the family members named in the various records, are correctly named. He is named in the usual tradition after his father (Charles) and his grandfather (William).

I am missing two crucial documents for his short life: his birth certificate and his burial record. The fact that his birth certificate is missing is not a major surprise, as we know that in those early days of civil registration, not all children were registered, especially if they were illegitimate or had been baptised, many couples seeing civil registration or baptism as legitimate alternatives. I am more surprised by my inability to find a burial. I would have assumed that he would have been buried at All Hallows in Tottenham, but I am unable to find him.

If anyone can help locate either of these documents I would be very grateful.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles DANIELS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out birth entries in his mothers maiden name as he was technically illegitimate?

There is one for Charles Game sept 1/4 1845 in Uxbridge, no mothers maiden name recorded in the GRO (direct) index
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
No I haven't ruled anything out, but I warn you from my knowledge of the GAME family there are an awful lot of Charles GAMES. Things are made more complicated by the fact that two of Charles Game's daughters, Eliza and Mary Ann, married two Daniels brothers, Charles and George.

I will have a look at the one you found, but why Uxbridge?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
Does the baptism record really say that he was born in Tottenham, or is this (per the usual register format) the family’s abode at the time of his baptism over a year later? 
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 September 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
I will have a look at the one you found, but why Uxbridge?

Uxbridge to Tottenham is not that far, even in the 1840's there was a direct road from Uxbridge straight into London, or the Grand Union Canal from Cowley to Paddington and then the Regents Canal around the top of London, and there were brickworks at Stockley nearby.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 18 09:42 BST (UK) »
As you suspected, the baptism record is in the usual format, so doesn't actually say he was born in Tottenham. I believe the record can be found on Ancestry in London CoE baptisms.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 October 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
I have sent for the Uxbridge PDF. I'm not optimistic, but you never know.