Author Topic: Keady's of Furlogh - Barna - Galway - Ireland  (Read 5696 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Keady's of Furlogh - Barna - Galway - Ireland
« on: Friday 28 September 18 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for information on a Michael Keady - Wife Mary Clancy both deceased of Furlogh - Barna - Galway - Michael Keady was a farmer . . .

I have a marriage in 1914 but from their marriage, one of their children was born 1936 . . .

I feel this marriage is to early to have had a child so late in the day especially as there seems to be another son born in 1938 . . .

My quest here is not the children who may be still alive but Michael Keady and Mary Clancy themselves and an explanation of how this could be so . . .

Michael Keady was deceased by 1963 and Mary Clancy by 1980 by a few years . . .

Does anyone have information on a marriage by the same said persons say in the 1930's as I cannot find any information about this and their deaths . . . 

And possible the farm in which they may have lived at - as most censuses do not show actual addresses just the area . . .

Any information would be gratefully received and many thanks in advance . . .

Indiana . . .

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Keady's of Furlogh - Barna - Galway - Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 18 01:51 BST (UK) »
Do you have Mary's age at the 1914  marriage and the 1980 death?
Have you found births between 1914 and 1936?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 18 02:33 BST (UK) »
Mary was "full age" at marriage i.e. over 21. Father was Michael Clancy who was alive at time of Mary's marriage.

1911 census House 2 Shannafreaghoge Mary was aged 20. Parents Michael & Bridget.
1901 census Mary was 10. Michael's mother-in-law Gibbons was in household.

Mary Clancy birth 30th April 1890. Parents Michael & Bridget (Gibbons). Registered Spiddal district, Galway Superintendent Registrar's district.

If this was correct Mary she was around 24 when she married and 47/48 when the child registered in 1938 was born. It's possible it was the same woman.
Another possibility re births 1936 and/or 1938 is to consider if an unmarried daughter of Mary may have been the mother and Mary passed the child off as hers.

There were 2 sons of the marriage born 1915 & 1916. Were there more during the next 20 years?

Cowban

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 18 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone

No the certificate I have just says of age (Full) and the addresses for both of them is just up as Furbo . . .

As Furbo is actually over the water from Galway it was something else that said it was Furbo - Barna - so presumed as Furbogh next to Barna in Galway next to the coastline . . .

I have done all the 1911 censuses that could be found via Irish sites but with no ages it is hard . . .

There are births after 1914 but none say who the mother is . . .

I was hoping for another Keady who has lived there to fill in the gaps . . .

All I know is Michael Keady was dead before 1963 and his wife was dead prior to 1980 by a few years . . .

I have found a few deaths of a Michael Keady early in age as in 41 and 42 but there is nothing to say just to say if they are related in any way other to say if his wife lived to say 1975 it would sound right to say they were of about the same age at marriage - but what if Michael Keady was much older it mixes things up . . .

To save money as the birth certificate are quite expensive the birth was only applied by a research facility form - on one of the children's birth certs in 1936 where the mother and farmer were given but no address just the hospital and that Michael Keady was a farmer nothing else . . .

After looking at the censuses and seeing that all of the Keady farmers on them - the address is not shown just the area I fear the birth certificate once got would just show the same - thus be a waste of money . . .

Had Michael Keady not been a farmer the address would have been shown . . .

Hope this helps and thank you for your interest . . . 

Regards Indiana . . .

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 September 18 03:09 BST (UK) »
Mary was "full age" at marriage i.e. over 21. Father was Michael Clancy who was alive at time of Mary's marriage.

1911 census House 2 Shannafreaghoge Mary was aged 20. Parents Michael & Bridget.
1901 census Mary was 10. Michael's mother-in-law Gibbons was in household.

Mary Clancy birth 30th April 1890. Parents Michael & Bridget (Gibbons). Registered Spiddal district, Galway Superintendent Registrar's district.

If this was correct Mary she was around 24 when she married and 47/48 when the child registered in 1938 was born. It's possible it was the same woman.
Another possibility re births 1936 and/or 1938 is to consider if an unmarried daughter of Mary may have been the mother and Mary passed the child off as hers.

There were 2 sons of the marriage born 1915 & 1916. Were there more during the next 20 years?

Wow well, Maiden stone that's one step forward and I'm off to check the full census results on that 

I did not find any births which including the mothers maiden name - but on what information you have given me I will try to follow on that . . .

Many thanks for that, as at least we have an address for Mary Clancy which may go a long way once going backward into the family research - appreciated Maiden Stone . . .

Indiana . . .

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
Furbogh AKA Furboghgarve
has only 1 household in 1911 but it's not listed in the search
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002390075/
In 1901 it is listed in the search but when you look at the images it appears to be Derryloughlawn East not Furboghgarve
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000813103/

Clearly it's very small, the townland database says its 125 acres.
It would be worth looking at Griffith's Valuation to see how many houses it had, I can't on iPad.

The point is that's as close as an address your likely to get.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 September 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
Furbogh AKA Furboghgarve
has only 1 household in 1911 but it's not listed in the search
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002390075/
In 1901 it is listed in the search but when you look at the images it appears to be Derryloughlawn East not Furboghgarve
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000813103/

Clearly it's very small, the townland database says its 125 acres.
It would be worth looking at Griffith's Valuation to see how many houses it had, I can't on iPad.

The point is that's as close as an address your likely to get.

Wow - well I wasn't expecting that - a photo of the old place . . .  :o

Amazing Sinann and thank you so much . . .  :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 September 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
There is also a Furbogh House and Furbogh bridge in the townland of Ballynahown, it's possible they were referring to this area.

You can search for these places here http://map.geohive.ie/
use the Base Information and Mapping to see the different maps use the 6" Colour to see the outline of the townlands

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 September 18 09:55 BST (UK) »