Author Topic: Looking for information on George BEERS of Sawley  (Read 2834 times)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information on George BEERS of Sawley
« on: Friday 28 September 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I am trying to help a friend by building up the beginnings of a Family Tree for her. Her mother's maiden name was Beatrice BEERS. Beatrice's father, George BEERS (bn. 1873) had seemingly moved to Nottinghamshire, presumably to work in the coal mines around Jacksdale, the family settled in an area known as Westwood.

However, George BEERS was born in Sawley, Derbyshire in 1873. His father (another George BEERS) was born somewhere between 1832-1834. Where I am stuck is trying to find information relating to Beatrice's 1x Great Grandfather (yet another George BEERS). At the moment, although I suspect he may have been born in SAWLEY, I have no date for his birth, or indeed any other information about him. I have not been able to find the name of his wife, or locate any marriage information.

What I have thus far is:

Beatrice BEERS - 1916-1997 = Frank HANSON bn. Basford RD 1915
     |
George BEERS - bn. Sawley 1873 = Sarah ALDRED - bn. Ilkeston 1873
     |
George BEERS - bn. Sawley 1832 (or 1834) = Mary KIRK - bn. Strelley, Notts 1835
     |
George BEERS ?? = ??

My friend only knows family information from the Nottinghamshire section of the family. She didn't even know that there was a connection in Sawley, Derbyshire.

Are there any other BEERS researchers out there, or indeed any other kind soul who may be able to throw any light on the currently unknown information concerning the third George BEERS and who he married and where?

Yours in hope...,

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on George BEERS of Sawley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the correct family but the 1841 Census has a George Beer and family in Sawley

HO107/9/F24/p9
Back St. South, Sawley
George Beer 35 Waterman
Ann Beer 14
William Beer 12
George Beer 9
Joseph Beer 5
Thomas Beer 3

All born Derbyshire. No sign of a wife for George.

There is a raft of baptisms in Sawley in 1842 but no years of birth given
Ann, William. George and Joseph were all baptised 29 May 1842, parents George and Hannah.

There is a marriage in Sawley 9 September 1823 for a George Beer to a Hannah Poxon and a burial in Sawley 5 June 1840 for a Hannah Beer.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
On the original of those baptisms in the margin
John is aged 15 father William a boatman
Ann 13
William 11
George 8
Joseph 7

witnesses to that marriage John Poxon and Sarah Beer

Ciderdrinker

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Baptism records -image gives age at baptism
Sawley Page 98
29th May 1842
all to parents George and Hannah Beer (squiggle on end of name -possibly "S")
father's occ Boatman
address Sawley
ages at baptism are given
John age 15
Ann age 13
William 11
George 8
Joseph 7

Burials Sawley Page 90 entry 718 5 June 1840
Hannah Beer age 35

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 September 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
I'm concerned that you are following the wrong George Beers line - although he married Sarah Aldred as plain George, last census he's shown as George Henry, in 1901 he's George H. bc.1874 Ilkeston, in 1891 he's in Ilkeston with parents George (bc.1847) and Matilda (bc.1847) and shown again as bc.1874 this time in Winfield, Derbyshire.  (He and Sarah had a dau. Matilda).

What do other Rootschatters think?

Having said all that, I cannot find him in 1881, nor can I find parents George and Matilda, nor indeed a marriage for them.   All most bizarre!

One line is a George bc.1832 Sawley but the father of George (married to Sarah) is shown as George bc.1847 Sawley or Ilkeston???

Unfortunately, looks like I can tell you what's wrong but, alas, not what's right!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
Think I've now found George bc.1847 on 1851 and 1861 census in Sawley as 'Beer' son of a William and Jane.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 September 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
I am immensely grateful to you all for your interest, especially so if indeed I have been following the wrong George BEERS line... However, I just wondered whether any of you might be able to locate a baptismal record, Index or otherwise, for my friend's mother, Beatrice BEERS.

She was born, as the 1939 Register has it on 5th April 1916. Unfortunately, I do not know exactly where, whether in Nottinghamshire, at Westwood near Jacksdale, where the family spent most of their married life, or in Sawley, Derbyshire.

I ask the baptismal question because being after 1911, the Index should have her mother's maiden name on it. I would then, hopefully, be able to cross-reference the father in question, namely with a marriage record for the correct George.

Any thoughts?

Again, yours hopefully...

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 September 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Beatrice Beers Jun 1916 Basford 7b 433 mmn Aldred

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 September 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
You've definitely got the right parents for Beatrice i.e. George Beers and Sarah Aldred (it's also the only Beers/Aldred marriage) - it's from George himself bc.1874 (who is shown as George H. in 1901 and George Henry in 1911) we need to concentrate.

The George son of George and Mary was born 1/9/1872 (birth reg'd Dec.1872 Shardlow) which all ties up.   'Your' George is shown as George Henry more often or not and dies as George H. too - he is said to have been born 9/2/1874 which ties in with a birth entry of George Henry Beers in Mar.qtr.1874 Chesterfield - as a baptism doesn't seem to be available I would get this birth certificate to confirm parents names and also the birthdate.

Annette   
London -  Monk