Author Topic: Help with a birth of unknown mother  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a birth of unknown mother
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark, Elizabeth Grant did marry in 1919 and had children. I doubt she was the mother of Edith.

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
Cwellan, I only found the death for Margaret and I also know thT Elizabeth Hanratty died in 1912. Haven't started looking for the others in the household yet. I will search for the boys first as the girls may have married. Thankyou

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
Cwellan, that's amazing. That is definitely Annie's death. Yes I will have to cipher through them one by one for marriages and death. I thought it was just me that couldn't find Edith's birth. I also had a good look on proni to no avail. I have Hanratty's will but haven't looked for Patrick Grant's yet that I can remember. Thankyou for all the help.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
Cwellan, that's amazing. That is definitely Annie's death. Yes I will have to cipher through them one by one for marriages and death. I thought it was just me that couldn't find Edith's birth. I also had a good look on proni to no avail. I have Hanratty's will but haven't looked for Patrick Grant's yet that I can remember. Thankyou for all the help.

Yes....you need to investigate Marriages etc see if she is a Witness at any!!

Might point to correct family etc etc

You don't know if she was illegitimate or not!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again Cwellan, I don't know where Carrigans is? Do you mean on the same farm. I know Edith lived in Newry with my great grandmother. But they also only have the same story that the girl was taken in by her Aunt. I just looked through my notes and it looks like Elizabeth Grant inherited the farm from her Aunt Elizabeth Hanratty in 1912. So now even more confusing and unusual. Elizabeth Grant's parents were both alive at this time. Her aunt Hanratty was a widow, I'm presuming Hanratty was her maiden name and that she was Margaret Grants sister. Margaret was a Hanratty. But perhaps Elizabeth was a Grant married to a Hanratty. It's possible as both common names in The area. Anyway i will have to find the will and research it again.  :)

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
You are correct Hallmark, I don't know if Edith is illegitimate. She could have been an orphan either. I Heard of one case that they thought their sibling wwas illegitmate but turned out to have been adopted and no relative of the family at all. So stranger things can happen when it comes to family history. Thankyou all and good evening.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi again Cwellan, I don't know where Carrigans is? Do you mean on the ame farm. I know Edith lived in Newry with my great grandmother. But they also only have the same story that the girl was taken in by her Aunt. I just looked through my notes and it looks like Elizabeth Grant inherited the farm from her Aunt Elizabeth Hanratty in 1912. So now even more confusing and unusual. Elizabeth Grant's parents were both alive at this time. Her aunt Hanratty was a widow, I'm presuming Hanratty was her maiden name and that she was Margaret Grants sister. Margaret was a Hanratty. But oerhaps Elizabeth was a Grant married to a Hanratty. It's possible as bo th common names in The area. Anyway i will have to find the will and research it again.  :)

So why not check for Marriages for these people and see what is what?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 29 September 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
I just looked through my notes and it looks like Elizabeth Grant inherited the farm from her Aunt Elizabeth Hanratty in 1912. So now even more confusing and unusual. Elizabeth Grant's parents were both alive at this time.

Erm, the will says the small farm of c3 acres was left to Patrick Grant. A James Grant was one of the witnesses to the will. Lizzie Grant was one of those who obtained probate, so was an executor/administrator of the will.

Valuation Revision book actually shows Patrick Grant taking over from Elizabeth Hanratty in 1907.

It also looks in Revision Books, that a James Hanratty took over the property in 1886, then Elizabeth Hanratty in 1889.

A James Hanratty, aged 61, of Maphoner died 15th October 1886. His widow, Elizabeth, registered the death. Appears under Newry district.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
A James Hanratty married a Betty McCoy, both of Meighfoner (as transcribed), on 10 Dec 1876.

https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000632595#page/1/mode/1up
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .