Author Topic: Help with a birth of unknown mother  (Read 7027 times)

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a birth of unknown mother
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 September 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
I do know the grand daughter Edia/Edith was looked after and brought up by Lizzie Grant. She was burried with them as well. It's possible that she could have been born in England but no family stories of a brother or England. I think this girl was alone with her Grandparents. Are there parish records on roots ireland, NLIor elsewhere for the years 1891-1904? I'm not sure what parish, would it be Mullaghbawn.  ::) regards

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 September 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cwellan, that leaves Mary,Catherine or Anne to be the mother of Edia or one of the two children I don't have?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 September 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
I do know the grand daughter Edia/Edith was looked after and brought up by Lizzie Grant. She was burried with them as well. It's possible that she could have been born in England but no family stories of a brother or England. I think this girl was alone with her Grandparents. Are there parish records on roots ireland, NLIor elsewhere for the years 1891-1904? I'm not sure what parish, would it be Mullaghbawn.  ::) regards

And never married??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 September 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
If Lizzie Grant was 21 in 1911 and Edith 8 - then she could actually be Lizzie's daughter?

she would be very young, but theoretically possible
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 September 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for Marriages for any of the others, to see if she is a Witness at any??

I know Witnesses aren't always relatives! But you might get clues....

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 September 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Cwellan, the missing child on census must be one of the first three girls, Ann,Catherine or Mary but could also be one of the two children missing? Hallmark, I will check out the other Grants in the area but I don't think Edith had anyone as she was taken from the farm in later yearsto livenwith her aunt Lizzie. Lizzie couldn't have been the mother either as she was very young - 12. I have no idea? They lived in Cargin, silverbridge I presume this is the same place as the census. Would this be the Mullaghbawn parish? The couple Margaret and Patrick Grant married in 1881 in the same parish and had their first child the same year so I think they always lived at the same address. Perhpas they never registered all their children but don't know why the baptisms are not there. I tried searching for marriages but couldn't find any just Elizabeths.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 September 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
In Ireland, the place of residence will usually just be a townland, so Cargin, isn't a house or a street but an area, so will have more than one family in it

Here is the details of the parish of Mullghbawn (Forkhill)

http://www.igp-web.com/armagh/civilparishes/ForkillCP.htm

Unfortunately marriages and baptisms are only available until 1878/1879 online

Here is the death of Margaret Grant -
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1918/05175/4428345.pdf

Have you looked for deaths for the children?
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 September 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
Daughter Catherine died 1897, aged 13

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1897/05859/4660717.pdf

This is most likely Ann dying in 1903, aged 16
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1903/05665/4595512.pdf

This could be her in 1901 - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Tandragee_Rural/Terryhoogan/1021124/

I would look for a death and maybe a will for Patrick Grant?

Also - do you know if Lizzie and Edith were living in Carrigans on 1939 - if you know where the house is you can ask for the details of them and other household members - and the DoB for Edith which could help you find her?

If Edith was illegitimate, she may have been born in a workhose, but it probably be Newry, maybe Castleblayney so you should still see the birth

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 September 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cwellan, that leaves Mary,Catherine or Anne to be the mother of Edia or one of the two children I don't have?

Only if they didn't marry and had a child....