Author Topic: Frederick Herbert Dorrington b.1864 Islington  (Read 1160 times)

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Herbert Dorrington b.1864 Islington
« on: Friday 28 September 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I found Fred on the 1911 census but he is named as Darrington instead of Dorrington.  He is with his wife Rose b.1864 Woodstock, Oxfordshire.  I have his occupation as Bear House Keeper.  I would be very grateful if someone could look up the actual census page to see what his address was as I need to ascertain whether he actually looked after a bear or was a house keeper in the Bear Pub.  Strangely enough there was a real live bear in the pub called The Bear in Noak Hill but I see it was there in the 60s and this is 1911.  Also it says his grandson Rue but that looks like a wrong spelling?  Many thanks.
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Herbert Dorrington b.1864 Islington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
The Beer/bear word is blurred, but on sons marriage certificate 1910  it gives fathers occupation publican.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
The address was The Good Intent public house
Try Googling it 23 High Street
Entries in Kellys Directories 1908/10/12 for Fred

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I know the Good Intent Pub.  I wonder what the significance of the Bear is?  I will google it.
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
Oh just seen, it could have been beer! Not bear.

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
At last I get it!  In Kellys the people are described as Beer House Keeper - meaning Beer House is a pub.  The Keeper being the Publican I suppose.  And there was me thinking he had been looking after bears!  It was transcribed wrongly on Family Search but I should have thought of that.  All sorted now thanks.  In 1939 he's described as a retired plumber.  What I can't understand on the 1939 census who Jack Dorrington is as there are no records of a birth for him at all.

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 September 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
Jack F W Dorrington
June qtr 1917
Billericay
mmn Dorrington

Could he be Eva's son?
His death confirms birthdate on 1939 Register
died March qtr 2003 Northampton
Jack Frederick W Dorrington

Is this your Fred?
from the Chelmsford Chronicle 23rd March 1945

Mr Frederick Herbert Dorrington, of Alfred Road, Brentwood, builder and decorator, has died after a long illness aged 81. He was a member of the old Essex Volunteers, and in the last war served in the Royal Defence Corps. For many years he was a playing member of the Shenfield Bowling Club. A son and three daughters survive.

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 September 18 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this - answers a lot of questions.  I did see that birth in Billericay so could be my Jack, and yes I never thought he could have been Eva's child.  The birth record has Dorrington as the mother so looks likely.  Also on the obituary it says he leaves one son which was Harold who was still alive at that point - so Jack couldn't have been his son.  Fred's wife would have been 54 in 1917 and a bit old to have been Jack's mother.

Thanks for the obituary - yes he was initally a painter and decorator.

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
Essex Newsman 5th September 1908
Accident At Highwood Schools
While engaged in carting wash from Highwood Schools,Harold Dorrington, aged 15, son of Mr F H Dorrington of the Good Intent, High Street, was thrown out of the cart and jammed between a wheel and the brick wall. The accident occured through the horse being startled. Dorrington's right arm was badly hurt and he was much bruised.