Author Topic: William Smith b1891/92  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Smith b1891/92
« on: Friday 28 September 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
I have been given some information which could be my hubbies Grandad William,   Its Medal card details but does not show address etc,  is there any way of finding an Address at all so that we can make sure it is him,   the numbers on the Medal Card are 191626 and 101784.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sue

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith b1891/92
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
Regrettably not.  His detailed service record which would show such detail has not survived (you may know that 60% or so were lost in bombing in WW2).

All we can squeeze out of the medal info is that he went to France on 21 July 1915 with a unit of the Royal Field Artillery with service number 101784, transferring at some time to the Royal Garrison Artillery with a new number 191626 and was demobbed in March 1919.  He had three medals, the 1914/1915 Star, the British War and Victory medals.

Is there an 1918 absent voters list for the place he lived?  (Where did he come from by the way?)This should show the regiment and number.  Any marriage or children born while he was serving, certificates sometimes give numbers/regiment.  Any family stories/photos of an artilleryman?  Have you looked for local newspapers reports? 

Sorry to be gloomy but the odds are always against!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 18 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Max,  we have had contact before,  I emailed the absent voters to you,  the number on that was not correct and I since found that it was duplicated.  Someone found the medal card with those no’s and it could well be the William I’m looking for. Williams first child was born in 1919 so that could be why he was demobbed in 1919, it seems very promising.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
deleted!

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 September 18 04:20 BST (UK) »

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
Forgive me, I can't seem to find the absent voters' list you emailed but if the number was wrong (both of them??) then that can be discounted.

I am unsure why the card "could well be the William …..[/i).
The National Archives has over 7000 medal cards for William Smith.  Many will not have survived and many will have been discharged earlier but the numbers are huge. Demobilisation was in full swing by March 1919 so that in itself can't really indicate anything.  If the child was born earlier than November/December 1919 then the father would have to have been home before March.

I remain gloomy I'm afraid.

MaxD

PS can't get rid of the italics!!!

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD,

Thank you for your message,  you are right and as does not have an address may not be,  the regiments and hummer tie in but won’t know unfortunately,  child was born in Oct, nov and dec quarter.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 September 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
What is that the "regiment and (presumably) number tie in to?  Have you got something else with the two numbers on.  The individual numbers will be duplicated with other men but not the two together.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 September 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
What is that the "regiment and (presumably) number tie in to?  Have you got something else with the two numbers on.  The individual numbers will be duplicated with other men but not the two together.

MaxD

You checked before for me max,  the number on voters sheet was 191647 and I put it in FindMyPast it bought up a few people all with that number. Reg was 112th A.A.S., R.G.A.   He was a Gunner