Author Topic: John Joseph Nolan  (Read 5945 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Joseph Nolan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 September 18 23:34 BST (UK) »

My problem with the 1901 census is that I am looking for a John Joseph Nolan aged 13-17, who has a father Edward Nolan, 

Are there any??

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 September 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

A couple of questions. sorry, some have already been asked.

What is JJ’s occupation on marriage?
What is Edward’s occupation on the marriage certificate?
I can see him in 1911 but probably have the wrong 1915 document where that man is an Electrician.

Do you have a link to the Michael Rice you refer to?
It is just that I can’t find one who matches exactly re birthdate or Ballykelly/Suttons.
If the information is true, JJ was quite a bit older and presumably, the school/sweet shop story would only emerge later as adults- they would not have been there together. It might be irrelevant but I am just trying to place JJ somewhere in Wexford  :)

Heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 September 18 09:42 BST (UK) »
saw this family but having difficulty finding them in 1901
perhaps JJ has already left ?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Whitechurch/Ballykelly/688019/

Offline Bigdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks to those who have taken the time to read my posts and have offered advice.
John Joseph was a very private man, and I wish I had had the opportunity to question his life. But not even his children knew who their Grandparents were, or of any uncles and aunts. My late father only know his Granfathers name when I obtained John Josephs marriage certificate, and told him it was Edward Nolan, who was a general labourer, and had died before November 1915.
John Josephs occupations were varied, in the early 1900's he worked on the railways in South Wales, in 1902 he worked at the next station to his wife to be, who's family also worked on the railways. He worked as a porter, cleaner etc. When he travelled to America he was an electrician. At the time of his marriage he was a 'Master Blacksmith'. This fact my late father found strange, was, he was a blacksmith, and John Joseph never mentioned being a 'Master Blacksmith'. I believe that after his marriage he worked for a time on the railways, before finding employment in 'Taff Merthyr', a new colliery, near his family home in Trelewis. Initially he worked on the colliery trains and worked his way up to a forman fitter. He received a special dispensation (at war time) to leave the colliery in 1941, where he worked at BOAC in Treforest, not an easy commute from where he lived and when in his mid 50's.
PC859 Michael Rice's details are from 2 sources. The first is from the regulars at the pub he ran after retiring from the police. They remember him organising a trip (back home) to New Ross. The second is from Glamorgan Police Archives who provided records of PC Rice's place of birth, Suttons Parish, New Ross, Wexford and his DofB 11/5/1898. When I saw that Rice was so much younger that John Joseph, it seemed very strange that he spoke to my father, an 8 year old, of the link to the same school and village shop! I guess I hoped that whoever raised John Joseph knew the Rice family.
I am currently waiting upon a responce from a Catholic church on whether there is a register of Irish Catholic priests? This would enable me to look for any named Nolan between say 1900 -1915, with any that travelled to America a new source to be looked at.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:57 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
If you estimate father born c.1864 .... have you looked for Death of father on Civil Reg??

You have  John Joseph's (JJ) marriage certificate dated Nov 1915.... what townland??

Death results for edward nolan from 1884 to 1915
Area - New Ross   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ms9/

Displaying results 1 - 4 of 4.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:58 BST (UK) »

My problem with the 1901 census is that I am looking for a John Joseph Nolan aged 13-17, who has a father Edward Nolan, 

Are there any??

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Have you checked deaths for mother??

Have you checked deaths for father??

Have you checked deaths for any siblings??

Death results for Nolan of New Ross from 1884 to 1899  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01msb/

Obviously you can rule many out by ages!!

I know you don't know mother's name.....but did father register it??  etc etc

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 September 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
Are there any Nolans, born anywhere in Ireland, of correct ages who were Priests or Student Priests anywhere in Ireland on 1901 and 1911 Census?