Author Topic: Confusing Information  (Read 475 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confusing Information
« on: Friday 28 September 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
Grandads brother is recorded as killed in action on October 1 1915 France & Flanders according to CWGC.
I joined the Forces War Records for a month to check out family members and for Grandads brother the information is

Listed as wounded 17/10/15 on the casualty list, issued by the War Office from the 17 October 1915

Then 10/4/16 Listed as previously reported wounded, now reported missing on the casualty list.

He appeared in the local paper in October 1916 as being declared officially dead, a year after going missing.
This new info seems to imply that the actual date of death isn't known? I have the regimental diary for 1/10/15, it only records officers killed and 'others missing'.
He was 21857 William Collin KOYLI
      Many thanks
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing Information
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 September 18 05:01 BST (UK) »
The Register of Soldiers' Effects (viewed on Anc****y) lists William as died "on or since 1.10.15 France".  This suggests that he was missing in action.

In the chaos of war, records were not always kept well - lists of casualties were compiled at Battalion headquarters, submitted to Regiment HQ and forwarded to the War Office.  Battalion War Diaries did not generally list the names of casualties who were not officers.  With the transfer and copying of casualty lists from A to B to C some errors crept in.

I would recommend that you take the view that William was missing in action on 1 October 1915.  As time passed and nothing further was discovered, he became officially "presumed dead".

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing Information
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 September 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Philip, I always took his date of death to be October 1st but this information made me wonder but your explanation clears that up.
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks