Author Topic: Alnwick baptism 1798, where to look?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alnwick baptism 1798, where to look?
« on: Saturday 29 September 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
Having searched through the BTs for Alnwick, they jump from 1797 to 1799. Typically it's 1798 I'd like to see. Any ideas where I could get sight of the original registers or BTs for that year?
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick baptism 1798, where to look?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 September 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
Have you tried FreeReg?

https://www.freereg.org.uk/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 September 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, my lady is on there but being somewhat anal about direct lines, I'd like to source a scanned image if possible. Very disappointed that year is missing from the scanned BTs :(
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 September 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
The Alnwick entries on Free Reg were originally done from the BTs. Where there were 'missing years' the info was added as EX (extraction). In the case of Alnwick the extraction came from the IGI. Not ideal, but at the time it was the only way to at least include the names in the database - rather than miss them out completely and mislead people into thinking that they definitely weren't baptised/married/buried there - if that makes sense.

Free Reg is only ever meant to act as a finding aid, in the case of something marked BT, the original can be checked online. For entries marked PR then the original register is the source. For those marked EX the extraction could have come from a printed book or from the IGI.

The LDS do have digital images of Alnwick registers for this time frame, but they can only be viewed at a local history centre (unless you are a church member). If you have an FHC near you they will allow you to use their pcs to see and either download or print the image (depending on the agreement they have with the record holders).

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/963352?availability=Family%20History%20Library

If you don't have an FHC near you its possible to order a copy from Northumberland Archives, but I'd advise checking the date as without a date it would fall into their category of 'research' and the price goes up dramatically. I'd check against the search in the above link and Durham Records Online as they too have transcriptions for Alnwick for this time frame  if the dates match in 2 independant databases then that's a good sign its the right date :-)

If you give me  name and type of record (baptism/marriage/burial), I should be at our local FHC within the next week or two and could look it up for you if you don't have an FHC near you.

Boo

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 September 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Boo
For some reason I have been able to view those records on Family Search, I have since found them on Ancestry too. So excited to be able to view them and then so disappointed that 1798 is missing. I have found all her siblings baptisms. I know the exact dates and parentage details so will contact Northumberland Archives :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 September 18 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Boo
For some reason I have been able to view those records on Family Search, I have since found them on Ancestry too. So excited to be able to view them and then so disappointed that 1798 is missing. I have found all her siblings baptisms. I know the exact dates and parentage details so will contact Northumberland Archives :)

Those are the BTs, not the Original Parish Register, the link I gave takes you to the page for what the LDS have for the Original Parish Register. Though the BTs are good, they are still a contemporary copy of the original register.

Boo

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 October 18 08:26 BST (UK) »
What is the name and I will have a look on my Alnwick transcript which covers 1749-1812.  Then you will have a date to go by.  This is a transcript of the parish record not the BT's.  It will have the most information as 1798 is a Barrington Era record.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 October 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
2zpool, thanks the details I have are
1798 Oct. 4 Maria Theresa born Jan. 7 daughter of Francis Thomas Strother native of this parish by his wife Ann Edis native of Huntingdon.
It would be good to confirm with your records

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 October 18 13:57 BST (UK) »

Those are the BTs, not the Original Parish Register, the link I gave takes you to the page for what the LDS have for the Original Parish Register. Though the BTs are good, they are still a contemporary copy of the original register.

Boo
[/quote]
Doh, think I need to put my brain back in! I had planned to visit my local LDS fro the Berwick Freemens records so will add this to my list.